• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ac box restoration suggestion.

Smithboys69

Local time
9:08 PM
Reaction score
Hello. I am asking a question regarding testing the a/c heater box function for my 69 charger. I am in mid process with restoring the ac heater box. I want to bench test the full assembly when done with vacuum through the switch assembly at the dash for correct movement and adjustment before going into the car. What would anyone suggest for the best tool to use to draw vacuum? I have an ac vacuum pump. I considered a brake bleed had pump with the nipples to go into the end of the main line to the switch to move the doors on the box. Thoughts?

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

You really need a constant source of vacuum. A hand pump will not get the job done.
Kinda of what I am thinking too. I have the ac draw down pump for recharging systems but not sure that is the right tool to use. I don’t have the right hoses if it is.

You could tap into another vehicle at idle. Would take some extra hose though. I didn't bench test mine when I rebuilt it but got lucky that it all worked when I tested it in the car.

Might try a local Radiator shop that will bench test the box for you.

I’m having both tested, make sure the water valve doesn’t leak too!

Little late here,but...I created this to check mine with an a/c pump ...FSM said test at 7 or 8 inches(don't rememember exactly atm)...valve is to bleed off excess vacuum as pump would pull 30 otherwise
0827241204.jpg

Little late here,but...I created this to check mine with an a/c pump ...FSM said test at 7 or 8 inches(don't rememember exactly atm)...valve is to bleed off excess vacuum as pump would pull 30 otherwiseView attachment 1718346

Awesome thank you. I could easily make this. I have the pump just need the gage and valve. Good idea. Much appreciated. I have my box ready would be a good idea to just check it.

Auto Transport Service
Back