• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC Install in a 69 Coronet R/T with a 22" radiator

lemondana

Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
I'd like to add AC to my R/T, problem is, I only have a 22" radiator. Yes-my R/T originally came with the 22" 2 core radiator. I had heating problems way back in 82 after I bought it. I found a 22" 3 core rad from a 66 Monaco 383 with AC. I had this rad recored with my side brackets added and shroud. It's been great all of these years. what can I expect with the AC install? What options on upgrading. There are a few places that have hi flow 22" radiators. I'm going to use the factory AC pulleys and the smaller water pump pulley with the 6 fin water pump. I'll be installing my rebuilt engine before or at the same time. This is a highway cruiser, 2.76 rear gears and an auto. I do a lot of interstate driving. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not doing any body work at the time, this is a fairly decent original car that I don't want to bother with. Where did you get them side panels?

I'm not doing any body work at the time, this is a fairly decent original car that I don't want to bother with. Where did you get them side panels?
Local wrecking yard... At the time they had seven 68-69 B bodies... Unfortunately they recently crushed everything..

My 65 Coronet was factory equipped with A/C and a 22" radiator. Has a shroud and fixed blade fan.
Mike

My 65 Coronet was factory equipped with A/C and a 22" radiator. Has a shroud and fixed blade fan.
Mike
There were no 26" radiators in 65.. So you got a 22" & hoped for the best...

The radiator that I currantly have is from a 66 Monaco that my dad had, along with a 66 Polara, both 383 AC cars. I know he never had overheating with either one of these. And the AC blew ice cold. Those older cars that had the metal vents always seemed to be colder. I guess I can use what I have till it proves that it's not up tobthe task. I'm all ears, if anyone has any suggestions.

My point was, it was deemed adequate by Chrysler Engineering to cool the engine with A/C. I suspect you knew that.
Mike
Yes, I got that.. And in cooler climates if the 22" is good & everything else is working as it should its fine.. But don't plan any trips to Death Valley in August...

Yes, I got that.. And in cooler climates if the 22" is good & everything else is working as it should its fine.. But don't plan any trips to Death Valley in August...
The Death Valley trip is now ruined! Thanks for nothing! :)
Mike

The Death Valley trip is now ruined! Thanks for nothing! :)
Mike
Well Death Valley isn't really the point... Where I live has been 105+ for three weeks... Phoenix often is 115+ With the OP living in Nebraska he'll probably be fine... It wouldn't work where I live... Back in the 60's & 70's I spent way to many hours on the side of the road nursing a hot car, I'd rather spend the $$$ & do the work before it gets to that point...

We don't generally have temperatures much over 100, but the humidity is high enough, that when it's that hot it is miserable. I would drive the car a lot more if it had AC. This R/T has the Ramcharger hood and big oval air cleaner that when I bought it, had dealer installed air. They cut a notch out of the breather and a big hunk out of the air box. It didn't work, so I yanked it all out. Since then, I won't buy a car without factory AC.

Call Bob @ Glen-Ray radiator. He makes a bracket kit to install a 26" rad into a factory 22" opening without having to cut or drill anything extra.

After going thru the 22" radiator thing for years I'd probably look at an aluminum with 1" tube's and 3/8" spacing. I don't like the idea of 22" and a/c but that doesn't mean you can't make it work.

How much does originality or at least the looks of such matter to you? You can stick a cheaper 26 aluminum radiator in there and not cut anything and see how that does. Going to be way cheaper than a grand for a factoryish looking one.

Auto Transport Service
Back