• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on picking a restoration candidate

70383ChargerSE

Local time
2:25 PM
Reaction score
Looking for some advice, I know it all depends on money but typically I can do everything on a restoration besides major bodywork and paint. My question being, how far gone would be a car for someone with my skillset? I am looking for a B-Body 68-70 Charger and see most of the ones in my price range (under 10k) require quarters, trunk, floors, roof, rear frame rails. The quarters, trunk and floors dont seem so bad to replace but the roof replacement and frame rail replacement does. Can anyone share their experiences with a roof and frame rail replacement?

Thanks

Save, and buy a abandoned project to be honest, a car needing that stuff would come in waaay over value when done, unless you did everything your self , then still would be underwater. Increase the budget, and be ready to pounce on one

Unless you do care, then go for it! I've never done repair that extensive, but it involves keeping the car straight while that stuff is being repaired

Patience, time, and dedication. What is your goal? Are you in love with second gen Chargers and plan to be buried in it? Do you stick to lengthy projects? Getting gaps and reveal moldings and glass channel tension is important.

Are you interested in learning new skills and expanding your skill set? If yes, then go for it.

Rust never sleeps. Good luck with your search.

I would avoid rust repair at all costs!! How soon are you wanting to enjoy the ride? Do you have the cash and time to do the work? I bought an original numbers matching 69 super bee about 4-5 years ago. Still working on it!!! I think, oh just a quarter. Then it’s the wheel tub, lower rear window frame(all 3-4 layers), package tray ends........ I am now replacing front and rear door pillars. The rust just keeps going. 20k and no rust is so much more worth it. Luckily my frame rails are solid!!!
B395C9BB-E494-4458-B294-F041FA96E74E.jpeg
FAAA172D-41B0-4C35-AA17-F8921CC6D883.jpeg
3226C43B-E875-493C-9BD2-6C8CC6B1F846.jpeg
B29770AC-1C32-46A8-9129-75B63BD1DC08.jpeg
9C6A7F48-70BB-413F-84DD-157F5F3700D8.jpeg

I would avoid rust repair at all costs!! How soon are you wanting to enjoy the ride? Do you have the cash and time to do the work? I bought an original numbers matching 69 super bee about 4-5 years ago. Still working on it!!! I think, oh just a quarter. Then it’s the wheel tub, lower rear window frame(all 3-4 layers), package tray ends........ I am now replacing front and rear door pillars. The rust just keeps going. 20k and no rust is so much more worth it. Luckily my frame rails are solid!!!View attachment 924801View attachment 924802 View attachment 924803View attachment 924804 View attachment 924805
Oh wow, those pictures just make me shake.....kudos to you taking that on!

I am now replacing front and rear door pillars.

I might consider just patching them, depending on how bad they are. Looks good so far. Watch your measurements there.

On the 68-70 Chargers just keep in mind that the 68-69's they built alot more of them than the 70's so as far as getting used parts or parts cars (which alot of those parts are drying up) the 70's are more difficult to find. The 68-69's have a lot of similarities as well and more parts are repopped them than the 70. On the 70 basically from the doors on back they are virtually the same as the 68-69's but the front clip on the 70 is completely different and alot of that stuff at one time wasn't being reproduced but that may have changed since I'm usually behind the times.

Have you considered a different B body or does it have to be a 68-70 Charger? You've picked just about the most expensive (and desirable) model, but if willing to look at other cars you will get a lot more for your money. Under the skin they'll all essentially the same. If you expanded your search to include 66-67 Coronets as well as all 68-70 models, you could probably get a decent running 318 car with minimal or no bodywork issues, and maybe a decent interior too for your $10k. Honestly, if $10k is your budget you don't sound like you are flush with cash, and to fully restore a basket case car you'll be spending $50k minimum even doing the bulk of the work yourself. If you start with a decent driver quality car, another $10-$15k can make it into something really nice.

Auto Transport Service
Back