• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After this weekends results

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:19 AM
Reaction score
Loading the car after the race, no reverse or 3rd. Then both 3rd and rev worked fine 2 minutes later. What the hell it ran fine all weekend. Heard the rear brakes making noise before the last pass. Tires had no wear holes left. Pulled the tires and wheels. New tires were here before last weekend, but no time to swap. The rear pads that were deemed worn but useable 6 weeks ago are metal on metal. Fumble around to measure the rotors on the prehistoric Willwoods. Eventually find the correct rotors that Willwood tech says don't exist. Order them up from Summit. Decide to pull the trans shield and drop the trans pan to take a look see. Something caused 3rd and rev not to function. It's not happy. Aluminum shavings in the pan. Appears that something that is aluminum is being machined off while rotating. Pull the trans and gut it. A reaction shaft bolt has backed out of the pump. I know they were torqued 6 weeks ago during service. Upon inspection I realize the wrong bolts were used to mount the reaction shaft support. It's been that way forever. Must of had one bolt a touch longer than the rest. And one hole tapped a touch short. When it was torqued the bolt must have bottomed in the pump. When the bolt backed out it jammed the front drum. Then the drum couldn't rotate. No rev or 3rd. Then some throttle it snapped the boly head. Remove the broken bolt, clean up the burrs on the aluminum drum, stone eveything flat. Of course one case pump bolt won't come to torque. Pump comes back out for a Heli-coil. Trans will go back in tommorow. Then I'll take the slicks to get mounted. New rotors will be here Thursday. finsh up mounting the rotors to the hubs and safety wire. That should put us at Milan for the Detroit Dragway reunion on Saturday. May even go test on Friday. Then Super Stock shootout Sunday. Man I love this stuff. Sure am glad I won't be 70 until October. Livin the dream.
Doug

20240611_132303.jpg

7226.jpeg

Last edited:
Ouch, yep wrong bolts in there.

Friend in SG with a PG was slipping on the shift, took trans out and apart, all those bolts were loose. Got if fixed up for next time trial. Always something.

Giving us older guys inspiration. Give 'em hell, Doug! :thumbsup:

You really have to love it.

That’s a lot of work week after week.

Damn, you never fail to impress me Doug, racing or mechanical abilities are a bit above my pay scale buddy.
I say a bit to make me sound better!

Better be quick Doug, there’s a price on your head.

IMG_3427.png

Had a $100 bounty on me last weekend as well. Came up one round short of keeping it.
Doug

Made it out this past weekend. Saturday the car ran great in time trials 1.28/[email protected]. First rd they messed up the pairings. I sat a few minutes before the starigtened it out. Should've done another burnout. Fishtailed at the hit. The previous pass it 60 footed on the rear tire. On to Sunday. Though we've been to 4 finals I havent been happy with my lights. Been .040-,050 average. Very tight as most are right there, but slow. My son and I discussed how he looks at the tree. So i gave it a try. .006, .030, .026,.004, much better.
Went down to 5 cars. If I win it's a bye into the final. I think I see him red light, then lose focus. I actually thought I won. But it was me who got the red light. I never even saw it. My son was also down to the final 5 cars. He gave it back at the stripe against a 8.83 car (he was 9.84). His car was going to hit the dial. He was mad at himself. What could've been a father son final on Fathers Day was not to be. Had a great time anyway. Took the ballast out of the car for Sunday. Ran a 9.003@149. 60fts were 1.278-1.280 all day except when it did another 60 ft on the rear tires. Going to have to adjust fo that. Front shocks are full tight. Going to lower the wheelie bars some.
Doug

Made it out this past weekend. Saturday the car ran great in time trials 1.28/[email protected]. First rd they messed up the pairings. I sat a few minutes before the starigtened it out. Should've done another burnout. Fishtailed at the hit. The previous pass it 60 footed on the rear tire. On to Sunday. Though we've been to 4 finals I havent been happy with my lights. Been .040-,050 average. Very tight as most are right there, but slow. My son and I discussed how he looks at the tree. So i gave it a try. .006, .030, .026,.004, much better.
Went down to 5 cars. If I win it's a bye into the final. I think I see him red light, then lose focus. I actually thought I won. But it was me who got the red light. I never even saw it. My son was also down to the final 5 cars. He gave it back at the stripe against a 8.83 car (he was 9.84). His car was going to hit the dial. He was mad at himself. What could've been a father son final on Fathers Day was not to be. Had a great time anyway. Took the ballast out of the car for Sunday. Ran a 9.003@149. 60fts were 1.278-1.280 all day except when it did another 60 ft on the rear tires. Going to have to adjust fo that. Front shocks are full tight. Going to lower the wheelie bars some.
Doug
well a good weekends racing even if not quite the finish wanted . Glad car ran ok . Do you tend to run specific series or more individual events ? I wish we could run as often as some of you , simply for seat time . Lucky to run once a month here so you can lose the feel for the tree , especially foot braking . And dont get me started on the prizemoney ! ;-(

Tex

well a good weekends racing even if not quite the finish wanted . Glad car ran ok . Do you tend to run specific series or more individual events ? I wish we could run as often as some of you , simply for seat time . Lucky to run once a month here so you can lose the feel for the tree , especially foot braking . And dont get me started on the prizemoney ! ;-(

Tex
Run a few series. Great Lakes Stock/Super Stock. All races in Michigan with in 2 1/2 hrs or less. Usually $2000 w, $1000 r/u. Buckeye Stock/Super Stock in Ohio, all races with
4 1/2 hrs. $1600 w, 700 r/u. JRP Stock/ Super Stock. All races at Milan MI once a month. Pays less but its 1 hr 10 minutes away. Then the more spread out NMCA series. $1000 w. The Final at Indianpolis pays $1500, $1500, $4000 + contigincy. There's also The Summit Mopar race in Ohio. $2000 each day. If you win both it adds another $1000. Lots of good venues. The biggest issue this year is the Indy race, Mopar race, and the last two Great Lakes races are ll on the same weekend. I am curently the points leader in Great Lakes.
Doug

Last edited:
Run a few series. Great Lakes Stock/Super Stock. All races in Michigan with in 2 1/2 hrs or less. Usually $2000 w, $1000 r/u. Buckeye Stock/Super Stock in Ohio, all races with
4 1/2 hrs. $1600 w, 700 r/u. JRP Stock/ Super Stock. All races at Milan MI once a month. Pays less but its 1 hr 10 minutes away. Then the more spread out NMCA series. The Final at Indiapolis pays $1500, $1500, $4000 + contigincy. Thers also The Summit Mopar race in Ohio. $2000 each day. If you win both it adds another $1000. Lots of good venues. The biggest issue this year is the Indy race, Mopar race, and the last two Great Lakes races are ll on the same weekend. I am curently the points leader in Great Lakes.
Doug
thanks Doug for the info . Never seen that sort of $ here . Best I've done is $2000 for winning the track championship , that only pays $200 to win a round and its now its $240 to enter . For the national events its $350-700 sort of range depending on class.

Tex

Auto Transport Service
Back