• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ahh!! The manual doesn’t mention this… need some help…

pjoll84

Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just got my power steering pump and brackets to install (thank you @moparjohn)

I see the two water pump bolts I’m supposed to use… but one of the bolts starts hitting the water pump pulley… do I need to take the fan off (and radiator out) to get this done?

I seem to recall it necessary to remove the fan and pulley from the front of the water pump to access ALL of the water pump bolts. But I DONT think you need to pull the radiator in order for the fan/pulley bolts to pull out far enough to remove. I recall there is plenty of room between the fan and the radiator on a 318 car, but it's been a while.

Well I went for broke and removed the radiator… will go and grab a few new hoses this afternoon.

The power steering pulley and main crank aren’t lining up the greatest. Do I shim the bottom bracket with washers?

IMG_0583.jpeg

Hard for me to see in that photo, but double check you've got the brackets front to back in the correct order, aren't missing any OEM spacers.
After that, if it doesn't line up well, solve it best you can or you'll be throwing belts

Hard for me to see in that photo, but double check you've got the brackets front to back in the correct order, aren't missing any OEM spacers.
After that, if it doesn't line up well, solve it best you can or you'll be throwing belts
Is it that my water pump pulley is meant for a manual steering car?

So far the crank pulley has three “rungs” or grooves. The power steering pump fits more naturally on the 2nd groove (where the water pump and 2nd groove of the alternator pulley seem to sit.)

image.jpg

I just used some 1/4 oversized nuts, put some plumbers tape on the water pump bolts and torqued them down to spec. Here’s hoping

Auto Transport Service
Back