• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Cleaner Help

I like your flat top plate with the recess for the wingnut, this alone would give you an extra half-inch to an inch or more. Was that something you fabricated or part of a complete assembly from Ramairbox? I would dig one of those in 14". I'm using a K & N 14 x 3" air cleaner, a 1" plastic spacer beneath it, and a 3/4" carb spacer. It all barely fits under the hood of my '70 Charger.

View attachment 1711992

I like your flat top plate with the recess for the wingnut, this alone would give you an extra half-inch to an inch or more. Was that something you fabricated or part of a complete assembly from Ramairbox? I would dig one of those in 14". I'm using a K & N 14 x 3" air cleaner, a 1" plastic spacer beneath it, and a 3/4" carb spacer. It all barely fits under the hood of my '70 Charger.

View attachment 1711992
Top and bottom were from ramairbox. You will have to check with them on available sizes.
Mike

Ohh interesting, not what I was picturing in my head. I am realizing now that I think my search results pulled up six pack style intakes as well. Maybe that is where I am getting confused.

1724265906650.png

I made a rubber mold of the original football type. You can borrow it and make a couple in fiberglas. Bases are simple and could be made with thin steel sheet. This is the shorter version for 2x4. For a single 4, they were taller.

Original paint football above, my 6-Pack version in Dupli-Color DE1604 (Olds engine color) below. So close, any difference may be the new paint compared to old, engine cooked color.

P1016967.JPG

Even with stock exhaust manifolds, those air filters probably can't flow enough air!
Mike
finding useful numbers on filters is lengthy and mostly unfruitful journey. There is no good research (that I could find) to exactly determine how much air a carb/engine requires. Analyzing what aftermarket suppliers have done, many are at the minimum required or less to fit under hoods.

With the air cleaners I made, I determined a 6 pack carb sucks approximately the same as a Weber DCOE 44. So I bought K&N's of that size. It's all still theory as I haven't found anyone with a running 6 pack to run them and find out.

I'm a shade tree everything, but here is something I found in my research for someone smarter than I to explain :

So assuming an atmospheric pressure of Patm = 14.7 psi, and an engine volumetric efficiency (referenced to manifold conditions) of VEe = 1.0 (i.e., 100%), one gets

(2a) CFM = 0.5*(Pboost/14.7 + 1)*CID*RPM/1728

Or

(2b) CFM = (Pboost/14.7 + 1)*CID*RPM/3456

Since K&N says their filter material flows 6.03 CFM per square inch, or 6.03 CFM/in², (probably at 28 inches of H2O), then all that's required is to divide (2b) by 6.03 CFM/in² to get the filter area required by as determined at maximum rpm, RPMmax, i.e.,

Square inches of filter = (Pboost/14.7 + 1)*CID*RPMmax/(3456*6.03)
Square inches of filter = (Pboost/14.7 + 1)*CID*RPMmax/20,839

Auto Transport Service
Back