• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber isn't working at the switch????!!

bday391

Local time
8:15 AM
Reaction score
Looking for opinion's!! Air grabber will not work at the switch (Brand new switch) I can unplug the vacuum lines and jump the green and yellow the air grabber will work. This tells me the switch is no good is that possible?? I did add the solenoid but bypassed it to make sure that wasn't the problem first! I am just puzzled how a brand new switch can be bad I know this can happen but what do you think I should check? There is about 15lbs of vacuum so I know there isn't a problem there!!!

Do a resistance test on the switch using the ohm function on your multimeter you should have 0.0 ohms when in the on position and OL when in off position, if you have OL in both positions bad switch

Do a resistance test on the switch using the ohm function on your multimeter you should have 0.0 ohms when in the on position and OL when in off position, if you have OL in both positions bad switch
FYI the switch is vacuum not electric

Looking for opinion's!! Air grabber will not work at the switch (Brand new switch) I can unplug the vacuum lines and jump the green and yellow the air grabber will work. This tells me the switch is no good is that possible?? I did add the solenoid but bypassed it to make sure that wasn't the problem first! I am just puzzled how a brand new switch can be bad I know this can happen but what do you think I should check? There is about 15lbs of vacuum so I know there isn't a problem there!!!
Where did you get the switch? It may be all gummed up inside.....and I am not sure how successful pulling it apart will be for you.

A resistance check of the "switch" won't work BECAUSE it's a valve.....even though its called a switch because of its appearance...there are no wires attached....it resembles a toggle switch, but it actually changes a vacuum signal from on -off......
BOB RENTON

When wind blows against a building there is resistance. Once the building falls down there is no resistance to the wind.

When wind blows against a building there is resistance. Once the building falls down there is no resistance to the wind.
And the temperature at ground level on asphalt is always more than the top of the building.

Weird huh?? Since the top of the building is closer to the sun. :rolleyes:

Due to tectonic plate drift over the past few years ..... New Zealand has moved closer to Australia by approximately 8 cm. (3-1/2" in washing machines)

Do you think the air fare costs have come down???? NOOOO....they went up.

I have to assume you had the ignition switched on when testing the switch operation?

I believe that is the only way to activate the solenoid.

Also.... :xscuseless:

a picture of the switch please if you remove it from the dash.

FYI the switch is vacuum not electric

That won't work.

A resistance check of the "switch" won't work BECAUSE it's a valve.....even though its called a switch because of its appearance...there are no wires attached....it resembles a toggle switch, but it actually changes a vacuum signal from on -off......
BOB RENTON
Sounds good was not aware, thank you for letting me know. I heard switch and made an assumption.

But my resistance tester (digital meter) FOES NOT HAVE A WIND RESISTANCE SCALE.....if it did, what would be the scale???? Pounds/square inch, milli-meters of mercury, kilo-grams/square centimeters, vacuum is measured torr or milli-torr. We're not talking about wind blowing against a building but VACUUM which is opposite......
BOB RENTON

This might help
IMG_1761.png
IMG_1761.png

Suck, blow what's the difference. Either way its not working.
The diffrrence is significant......it's a lot like having money or being poor.......one aspect is positive the other negative......beside, the '70 air grabber system works on VACUUM or negative pressure.....semantics and it's understanding is important ........
BOB RENTON

I appreciate the information and the entertaining comments. The switch was brand new and I believe it was a classic industries purchase. Don't remember for sure, will probably try to take the switch out over the weekend and see if I can get air to move through it. Will keep everyone posted on my progress for entertainment reasons as well!!

Auto Transport Service
Back