• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Antique car tags. Car must remain stock?

Tony Tee

Local time
2:03 AM
Reaction score
Watched a episode of the car wizard mechanic. On YouTube where he was going to put a Rolls Royce v8 engine into a 62 chevy c10 pickup. And was going to antique tag it. But he changed his mind due to potential hefty fine of 10k if caught. Does this mean if somebody has a 318 charger and installs in a 440 while it's registered with a antique tag illegal? And who would check?

Check with your License Bureau.

Could be different in every state. Big difference between a RR engine in a C10 and a 440 in a Charger which was an available engine.

Was he in europe ? Emission standards could be another reason? Had a chance to buy car low mileage but some emission stuff was removed. Not worth the hassle to dig it up. In Ct no emission testing if a car is 25 years old.

Varies by state? Ohio goes by body as far as I know. They don't care about engine.

Here in PA your not supposed to have ‘non-stock’ modification. Think street rod, pro-mod, race car, etc. if your car had a 6 banger and now it’s a 440 all is good as long as you don’t have blower sticking out the hood. Previously we needed to include pictures of all 4 sides. That ended about 10 years ago and you’re on your word.

In Wisconsin you can do about anything we want . Have a friend that built a car around an Allison aircraft engine , title and new vin tag no problem. I built motor cycles from boxes of parts bought at swipe meets.
You have to take such vehicles to the state patrol and have it inspected for things like lights , horn , brakes, ect.
They sign off and you send it to mvd , they send you back a new vin tag and title . The title may say home built-reconstructed , flood damage ect--- and it will be branded as such.
They could not care less about engine swaps.

Never thought about that. In Connecticut they don’t care. There are “antique” plates on so many pieces of crap it’s hard to imagine. I like being able to use original “year of manufacture” plates though. Expiration stickers on mine say May 65.

All I know is I'm pushing for legislation that would bring the death penalty for anyone who sticks a bowtie engine in a old Mopar rod... or vice versa.

I saw a car hauler pull out of the gas station yesterday. He had a Plymouth sticker on the side, but a big bowtie on the back. That's like putting brussel spouts in your milkshake!!

Here in the Mitten, all that’s required is the $35 for the plate.

Never thought about that. In Connecticut they don’t care. There are “antique” plates on so many pieces of crap it’s hard to imagine. I like being able to use original “year of manufacture” plates though. Expiration stickers on mine say May 65.
Nate do you get the property tax break like antique plates?

Canada started that nonsense years ago. Ohio doesn't care.

WA doesnt care as far as I know. They Antique and Collector car plates; once you have them you never have to register it again.

Nate do you get the property tax break like antique plates?
We don't have any "personal" property taxes here in my neck of the woods, but having the Antique tag
is a one shot deal - you buy it once and as long as you have the car, you never pay annual registration
or whatever taxes again on it.
They get their shot at you at time of purchase and that's it.

Canada started that nonsense years ago. Ohio doesn't care.
??????? 10 bucks a month here, all you need is something that resembles a vin and you got plates

State of Ct. wants money so you need to pay registration every 2 years. Like the property tax break was paying $250 now $50 a year.

Auto Transport Service
Back