• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any other retirees with a part time job?

If you can afford to do it, retire 100% & leave the work force permanently...
Enjoy your freedom of not punching a clock or going into an office/workplace...
Especially if you work for someone else, dependent on them...

most here have heard my story

I semi-retired at 38, in 1997
but I also, started a Golf Pro-shop, club repairs, lessons
& when not traveling to drag race, I'd play a bunch of mini tour events
some while travelling to drag race...
Spend a lot of $$, & kept a place to have kids work, made a few $$$
(most were home schooled, except the 2 oldest)
have them learn what it takes to make a living, run a business & the responsibility
opening & closing...
Do the till/banking daily, customer relations etc.
&
I still did consulting/subcontractor contacts for the dealership group
but now only 40hrs a month, paid very well for it too...
More per/hr than when I did it full time...
I worked for them, off & on for 20 year prior, as a Facility Mngr/In House GC/Contractor
(35-ish years combined) after I retired to go out, traveled & raced far more,
I'd do rodeos with Lisa, drive the towrig/trailer, keep her gear up
take care of the horses... Lisa's rodeo stuff, took a ton of $$$ & time...
Only right she put up with my racing for years...
I'd also spend time going to kids after school events,
music, theater, their games & sports, hobbies...
Did all that until about 2007, 48 y/o...
I worked far more hrs, after I retired, than I ever did when I was working full time...
Money was good but way too hectic, lots of stress...

you either work or you don't
seems there's no in between, for me anyway

I'm 100% retired since I was 62, 2021
I highly recommend it...

work sucks, it's a 4 letter word

I try not to dip into my retirement savings for my car projects. Buying real estate would be more investing than spending. That's why my car projects take so long. Little bit here a little bit there.

I retired January 1st... But the company I worked for the past 23 years hasn't found a replacement for me... So I've been doing a few contact jobs for them, currently in Austin Tx & will be for a few more days.. What sucks is I'm gonna exceed my max earnings & get penalized... What's great is this year I've spent less than four weeks on the road and I've exceeded max earnings...

In 2013 I retired from the railroad at 55, but I currently work two days a week at a car parts store, where I get a great discount on parts. :)

I will turn 60 in November and I am retiring in Dec. I bought this car to have something to do while in retirement. The only other job I would consider would be something to do with race cars or turning wrenches, but I’m not looking to work part time after I retire.

After I took my pension at 60, I was approached by the local college to teach a couple of trade school programs (Provincial Skilled Trades Training). I lasted 3 semesters. Between the "wokeness" of the college management to the piss poor attitude of a large number of the students, I resigned after finishing the third semester. The money wasn't worth the aggravation.
There is an old adage:

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

I guess I am a doer, because I sure as hell can't teach!

I retired about 4 years ago. After about a year I was sitting to much and the wife said that needed to back to work. She was correct. I went back and now work a limited amount usually about 20 hours a week. Generally Tuesdays, Wednesdays and 1/2 or so on Thursdays.
I went to work for a family run business that is the area Kubota dealer but they also deal with Exmark, Scag and other lawn care stuff.
I repair the lawn stuff. I do not work on the construction stuff as I have had enough of that in my previous life.
It’s not about the money. It is about the human interaction and it absolutely made a big difference in my attitude.
It’s nice being able to work because I want to not because I have to.

I retired in 2020.

I now work part time at my father-in-law's speed shop as a machinist and building high performance engines. I'm trying to pull as much knowledge as a can out of his head - there is 60 years of high performance engine building experience there!

I will retire sometime between right now at this very moment and age 70. Afterwards, I'll be enjoying more outdoors activities, my cars, and my family, but not necessarily in that order :eek:.

I retired at 23......... been working my *** off ever since :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:
I'm interviewing for returning to full time engineering. If I land a job (which is near impossible at my age) I'm really going all out to flunk retirement. Probably sell the Mopars at a huge loss and splurge on a new hellcat and leave the hobby.

My retirement post was removed ??? WTF

Can the one who did it PM me and tell me why

I simply asked a question. why not edit said post .

Sounds like mods are a little heavy handed here

My retirement post was removed ??? WTF

Can the one who did it PM me and tell me why

I simply asked a question. why not edit said post .

Sounds like mods are a little heavy handed here
Your post wasn't about retirement. You have a PM.

I've been saying I'm going to retire from my "day job" for a number of years now. Working has been my main activity since I was in junior high, and as I started hitting milestone years starting at age 55 I told myself I'd retire, I realized I hadn't figured out what I'd do with myself after retiring to stay busy and feel productive. The years go by and I still haven't figured it out even though I have financially able to retire years ago.
I do have a part time vocation I love and will only stop when I'm medically not qualified to do anymore. I've been a pilot and flight instructor for a long time. Various factors have always got in the way of me being able to fly for a living full time, but I'm still thankful for being able to do as much as I have in aviation the last 35 years.
I had a medical emergency in late 2020 that made my FAA medical no longer valid. In 2021 I got a lower class of medical that is still valid for flying recreationally and flight instructing but not for being a pilot in any other professional pilot capacities other than instructing. I did that as a stop gap, but jumping through all the stress, hoop jumping and aggravation dealing with the FAA bureaucrats to get my regular medical back has got high on the triage list I live my life by yet.
So if I ever get off the fence and retire my full time job, I'd like to get my medical back and see if I can do some charter or cargo flying. I don't want to be away for extended periods or even work full time for that matter, so I am not sure if a job that works out with my desires is doable though. And I'll continue instructing. I am wary of instructing much more than I currently do as the scheduling is too hit or miss. In fact my student for this evening texted to cancel on me due to his work. Weather, mechanical problems, students family or work issues, always get in the way to keeping a schedule that I am happy with trying to be a full time instructor!

I pretty much worked 60 hours a week in my last 20 years, so when I quit at 54 I was 90% sure that I was probably done with the working world. I kept the door open on some post-retirement job offers and worked short stints for a couple of contractor buddies to help them out when in need. Doing that, and finding out that the finances were going to be just fine solidified my decision to not work anymore.

I take care of the property, work on the Mopar fleet, help relatives and friends with random projects, take day trips, go the race tracks, ride my mountain bike, spend time at the local brewery, and generally am thoroughly enjoying having no commitments.

And of course, if you can't figure out how to fill your time, just buy another project car.

I'd only be interested in a job as a Bra Fitter. I'm very handy. View attachment 1727294 < I can do that.
You might get disappointed on the first day - most women who actually need a Bra-fitter have ******* so big that their nipples rub on their feet.

Probably not what you were hoping to hear. Unless you have a strong back and a come-along, I suggest another career path. :rolleyes:

Physical fitness coach for pole dancers would be a better choice.

I volunteer here, A, C, E, FMJ, and Trucks. Keeps me busy. Oh, and then all the groups on Bookface.

I'm a few years out from retirement but I'm working 8hrs a week at a friend's carbon fiber/injection molding shop learning new skills for when I do.

Eventually I'd like to make prosthetic limbs for people when I retire. It's something that has always fascinated me. And I'd get to fix people that need help while using new composites and materials. Everyone wins.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back