• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any refrigerator techs here?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
Looking for a sanity check.

Our 13 month old Whirlpool side by side refrigerator (out of warranty) has started putting a strong chemical odor out of the air ducts into the freezer and ice maker - and with the air dampener into the fridge section, in there too. Not a food odor by any means but the ice and any food not well sealed is getting fouled. Refrigerator is clean, no old food ever.

Got a repair tech out yesterday and he gave it a pretty cursory check and said it was fine and he couldn’t explain the odor. As he shuffled food around in the freezer one last time he noticed some ice on the rear wall of the freezer (panel over evaporator coil). So we pulled food, shelves and inside panel off and said everything looks normal. But what I saw was the lower 80% of the coil was iced up with what I would guess would average 1/16” to 1/8 inch thick. Not enough to bridge between coils, but thoroughly iced up, not frosted. He said the defroster cycle takes care of it, which I guess I bought at the moment, put it back together, took a check and left.

After he left I started thinking about that (slow mental processes I guess) and said to myself that didn’t look right. Called up Whirlpool tech line and a women said frost OK - ice, something is going on and not right. Called my air conditioning buddy, and he disclaimed to be a refrigeration appliance tech but said ice does not sound right. So, trying to get back in touch with the repair tech but in the meantime just checking that ice buildup on the evaporator coils isn’t right. Probably low gas or defroster malfunction, my guess.

Sound like a problem?

Using chemical smell to distinguish from any kind of food odor. Kind of smells like old, old ice, magnified several times over. Completely permeated our ice maker and also food not in air-tight sealed containers.

Speaking about your warranty...If you paid for this appliance with a credit card, I'd check to see if the card has any benefits like extended warranty. Most credit cards (in Canada anyway) have a slew of additional benefits attached without any needed registration or cost. I've used these benefits, one time using the additional year extended warranty, and they ended up replacing it.

Btw, I have Jenn-Aire appliances (made by Whirlpool) and they all have 3 year warranties. Sounds odd that yours only has a 1 year.

Thanks, that’s a good thought. I paid with a Lowe’s Center credit card so I’m a little doubtful it does have extended warranty benefits but worth checking.

Well, not so sure now. Took the cover off again and not as much iced up as yesterday and it’s not as thick as I was estimating. Could be because we’ve been in and out of the freezer so much, wiping it down with vinegar and water. And the ice is not as thick as I was estimating.

IMG_2141.jpeg

IMG_2140.jpeg
IMG_2138.jpeg
IMG_2139.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back