• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Americans keep turning their backs on McDonald’s

Culvers is usually real good; varies by location some now that they are franchised, but real good usually. In-N-Out still rules tho... :)
Culvers is a high class fast food joint. Great burgers, tenderloins, and roast beef, I love their Cod sandwiches and their Rubens. Cranberry Bacon Blue and Strawberry Fields salads are top notch and their frozen Custard is way better than any soft serve ice cream.

Someone is making nice cash, not common anymore it is the bartenders. When I would spend time in Miami Beach visiting my other daughter when she was still there few years ago, the cost of a frozen Margarita in a small plastic cup was 18-bucks. Now fork out for a – tip? Geezuz...
The other piece of my favorite joint's business model is the cheapest and best drinks in town. It's the only place my frugal wife will pay for an alcoholic beverage, often more than one. Anywhere else we go, we both drink water.

The other piece of my favorite joint's business model is the cheapest and best drinks in town. It's the only place my frugal wife will pay for an alcoholic beverage, often more than one. Anywhere else we go, we both drink water.
You would know better than me, but for eons when I would find myself in bars in younger days (mostly drank beer) would wonder about the profit from a bottle of booze. Bars get it wholesale, some cheaper than the others I assume, hi-vol biz’s…and how many shots in a bottle of say rum, gin, or tequila? Suppose it is just more now…a lot more than it used to be. Rarely go out to ballgames anymore, but last time I did, getting talked into going…a solo-cup of beer was 15-bucks…the cost of a 12-pack of some non-domestic beers..

Culvers is usually real good; varies by location some now that they are franchised, but real good usually. In-N-Out still rules tho... :)
I stop at an in-n-out almost every time on my trip back from Arizona to California. (Victorville or Hesperia) didn't this last time, cause there were 25-30 cars in line, and a walk-in line out the door at both (Sunday, around noon)
Unfortunately my closest local in-n-out in AZ is 20 miles away, and the one that's closest to me in california has a bad tendency to overcook everything.... burnt meat, burnt buns, burnt fries, burnt lettuce, burnt cokes, burnt shakes, etc. I haven't eaten at that one in years.

You would know better than me, but for eons when I would find myself in bars in younger days (mostly drank beer) would wonder about the profit from a bottle of booze. Bars get it wholesale, some cheaper than the others I assume, hi-vol biz’s…and how many shots in a bottle of say rum, gin, or tequila? Suppose it is just more now…a lot more than it used to be. Rarely go out to ballgames anymore, but last time I did, getting talked into going…a solo-cup of beer was 15-bucks…the cost of a 12-pack of some non-domestic beers..
When I go (IF I go) to the local nhra national event, it's cause I get free tickets and hospitality tent access thru my best friend. Food, drinks, and souvenirs/t-shirts/freebies all free at hospitality (no booze, but I don't care, I've got beer and baileys/coffee at home).
So, since they don't take cash anymore for parking, I walk in (save $20) don't eat or drink anything from the food/drink stands ( $50? $75? ) and sit in my $75 reserved seat I didn't pay for.
$200 to watch a day at the races? Not happening for me anymore.

Kens was GREAT. Mazzios grew out of Kens ; a nasty divorce caused the division and such. Interesting story... but the 'new' Kens is pretty good. least ways as I remember when I could still eat pizza....
I rarely eat pizza but when I do, it's Ken's Pizza. Sounds like a meme.

I rarely eat pizza but when I do, it's Ken's Pizza. Sounds like a meme.
Lol, Ken doesn't sound like a common Italian name. Hey Guido, call Ken, we need to whack a guy.

There's a pizza place around me, that started in 1957, Marty's, and just a few years ago moved out of their original building having a location in the far western burbs. Where they were located it was pretty much country and still remember it. Wow, the area is 'developed' and has been the last 25-years. Only venture in the area when I have to. Great pizza, the kind that will elevate bad cholesterol just looking at it.

Just to add more fuel to the fire...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Gotta disagree, a little.
They put up a new Starbucks literally next to our BK, and across the street from McDonald's, in the same parking lot as a Smith's.... with a Starbucks inside!
I laugh my *** off at the people paying ridiculous prices for terrible coffee..... but there's always a few, or a bunch, of cars in line.
I don't understand it.

Culvers is a high class fast food joint. Great burgers, tenderloins, and roast beef, I love their Cod sandwiches and their Rubens. Cranberry Bacon Blue and Strawberry Fields salads are top notch and their frozen Custard is way better than any soft serve ice cream.
..and dont forget the cheese curds!
Dumb ol hillbilly me, first time I was in a Culvers [in wisconsin] I looked up at the menu and had NO idea what a cheese curd was. Little girl behind the counter asked if she could help, so I asked what that was [whilst exaggerating my accent...] She smiled, explained it to me and told me if I didnt like em, just tell her and she would get something else. Needless to say, i never took her up on that offer!

I stop at an in-n-out almost every time on my trip back from Arizona to California. (Victorville or Hesperia) didn't this last time, cause there were 25-30 cars in line, and a walk-in line out the door at both (Sunday, around noon)
Unfortunately my closest local in-n-out in AZ is 20 miles away, and the one that's closest to me in california has a bad tendency to overcook everything.... burnt meat, burnt buns, burnt fries, burnt lettuce, burnt cokes, burnt shakes, etc. I haven't eaten at that one in years.
20 miles?!?!?! Shoot, I'd be camped out in the parking lot if I had one that close... :)

Not a big burger guy, but In&Out must have something magic. There is an In&Out nearby just off the freeway. It has a Wendy's and McDonald's nearby. I drive past this area every Mon night about 10PM. Can see all 3 drivethrough lines clearly from freeway. Wendy's usually 0-1 cars, McD usually 1 car, In&Out has TWO lanes that merge into one usually 15-20 cars deep. May have to stop in one night and sample the In&Out burger :thumbsup:

Not a big burger guy, but In&Out must have something magic. There is an In&Out nearby just off the freeway. It has a Wendy's and McDonald's nearby. I drive past this area every Mon night about 10PM. Can see all 3 drivethrough lines clearly from freeway. Wendy's usually 0-1 cars, McD usually 1 car, In&Out has TWO lanes that merge into one usually 15-20 cars deep. May have to stop in one night and sample the In&Out burger :thumbsup:
You don't know what you are missing.

I would rather go to a legit restaurant as price wise it’s not much more. Wife and I went out to breakfast and it was almost $40 with the tip for eggs and pancakes…. Don’t worry though I heard a few years ago these increased costs are just transitory.

Mc D's fries were so good back in the day. They were fried in Beef Tallow. What's not to like there.
That was long ago. Todays' fries there have a couple dozen ingredients and are far inferior on every front.

They put up a new Starbucks literally next to our BK, and across the street from McDonald's, in the same parking lot as a Smith's.... with a Starbucks inside!
I laugh my *** off at the people paying ridiculous prices for terrible coffee..... but there's always a few, or a bunch, of cars in line.
I don't understand it.
Same thing here. Starbucks bought prime land, built a building (probably a million total) right next to a new coffee shop and across the street from a Mom and Pop shop that has been there for a decade. (I hope they can stay in business). And then Quik Star comes to town and I bet they sell more coffee than 2 or 3 of them put together. There is a huge mark up in coffee.

I don't understand it.
It's a little different out here in the sticks...
Lots of fast food, all with trickling business (not heavily populated around here).
Let's be honest, a lot of it is fueled by various government assistance money.
There are mom & pop restaurants around, of course - but none last more than 10 years or so
because the drive-thru thing is perfect for lazy folks. Darn, did I say that out loud?

Wife and I don't do fast food. At all. We'll order a pizza delivered some Friday evenings, but other
than that, nada - and in my younger days on the road, I ate so many QPC's from the golden arches
that they shoulda given me stock in the company. The meat was real, 40 years ago anyways...
We do try to frequent the mom & pops that are trying to be good though. It's important to do that.
Wish like heck we had an In N Out or Whataburger or Culvers....hell, I'd settle for an old-time Lums.

Sometimes you can tell when younger millenial types are entering management of some places, too.
The largest grocery chain in the region (120+ stores) decided recently (upon the original patriarchs'
retirement) to begin offering Starbucks AND raw sushi at all their locations.
Heh. Imagine that - "fresh" sushi a bazillion miles from the nearest ocean, served to the good and
common folks here in Appalachia/coal country.
All we noticed at the local branch was that the Starbucks took up precious floor space - and that their
divided attention to those items meant less efforts to restock the shelves in the rest of the store.
Go figure....
You gotta know your audience, man. Can't force sales on folks who don't want it.

Oh heck, P.S.!
Chick-Fil-A IS the one "fast food" I'll gladly frequent - and have since I was a kid in Atlanta in the 70's.
I can truly say they are the one name brand chain that serves the exact same quality food as back then.
It hasn't changed a bit, thank heavens - and the service is ALWAYS impeccible.
A big reason for that is the business is still controlled by the Cathy family, not some corporate entity.

Mickey D's would go broke if they relied on my business. We go to Culvers. (midwest) PaPa Murphy's for some of our pizza's and local shops for all the rest. We have many Local family owned Chinese and Mexican eateries as well as Cafe's and family restaurants. Oh, and then there's a whole discussion about food trucks! Loaded mini doughnuts pictured. You can't get those at Mc D's.

View attachment 1703424
I can feel my heart slowing down, just looking at that!

Wally’s drive in Breese Il., best mom and pop burger joint you’ll ever visit , a cold ski and a double Wally burger with cheese and some fresh fries a dash of S&P and some ketchup for the fries and it’s heaven! The best in southern Il.!!

Auto Transport Service
Back