• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here have a Durango?

"Stellantis less than helpful"
What an terrible company they've become.
Might as well get a Ford (a company started by a real jerk).

Yeah, I just read the story this-morning on Google about the leaky oil coolers. Unbelieveable!
Made In U.S.A. is not sounding so good anymore? (If they're made here???)

I ordered a 2000 Durango and took delivery in Oct of 99 and it was the only car that stood up to my X until it was just a bit over 18 years old when she melted the engine because she didn't want to stop in the area she was in. Man, I kept that car nice until 2017 when she left. And the one in your pic almost makes me want to cry as it's almost exactly like mine (ours) was only ours wasn't a 4wd but had the same wheels and fender flares.

I replaced the tires it came with pretty quickly with the 10.5-15's and put the 235/75's (if I remember the stock size correctly) on the 95 Dakota. She wanted a 4wd but we really had no use for one and wasn't going to buy one just for the looks and she was good with the way I ordered it. It wasn't quite as high as a 4wd so the front tires would rub the fenders just a bit on a long deep dip but all that did was rub off the upper push fastener that was at the center of the flare....
Yup. 24 years old last month. Oh......Maybe you are asking about a new one. Sorry.

View attachment 1681393

My 2015 JGC has plastic radiator , just replaced it at 100,000 miles . Leaked at the seam of plasticc tank and the fins. Cant remember last time I had to replace a radiator.

We had a 21 vice white hellcat durango that turned out to be optioned 1 of 1. It was in and out of the shop for 6 months the first year we had it. It had a misfire that turned out to be a leaking intercooler brick, it had an active suspension issue that turned out to just be a bad shock. The rear hatch hit the side and rubbed the paint off. The rear console was loose and I had to take it out and 2 of the bolts holding it to the floor were only half bolted down. The dash had a bad squeak and the dealer tech threw their tools on the leather dash and cut it and they scratched up the bezel and they had to replace them both. Once all those issues were resolved and everything was great in Nov 2022 it was stolen from my wife's job. Cartel is probably enjoying it in Mexico.
1718821921080.png

We had a 21 vice white hellcat durango that turned out to be optioned 1 of 1. It was in and out of the shop for 6 months the first year we had it. It had a misfire that turned out to be a leaking intercooler brick, it had an active suspension issue that turned out to just be a bad shock. The rear hatch hit the side and rubbed the paint off. The rear console was loose and I had to take it out and 2 of the bolts holding it to the floor were only half bolted down. The dash had a bad squeak and the dealer tech threw their tools on the leather dash and cut it and they scratched up the bezel and they had to replace them both. Once all those issues were resolved and everything was great in Nov 2022 it was stolen from my wife's job. Cartel is probably enjoying it in Mexico.
View attachment 1681683
Man, that sucks!!

I ordered a 2000 Durango and took delivery in Oct of 99 and it was the only car that stood up to my X until it was just a bit over 18 years old when she melted the engine because she didn't want to stop in the area she was in. Man, I kept that car nice until 2017 when she left. And the one in your pic almost makes me want to cry as it's almost exactly like mine (ours) was only ours wasn't a 4wd but had the same wheels and fender flares.

I replaced the tires it came with pretty quickly with the 10.5-15's and put the 235/75's (if I remember the stock size correctly) on the 95 Dakota. She wanted a 4wd but we really had no use for one and wasn't going to buy one just for the looks and she was good with the way I ordered it. It wasn't quite as high as a 4wd so the front tires would rub the fenders just a bit on a long deep dip but all that did was rub off the upper push fastener that was at the center of the flare...

I replaced the tires it came with pretty quickly with the 10.5-15's and put the 235/75's (if I remember the stock size correctly) on the 95 Dakota. She wanted a 4wd but we really had no use for one and wasn't going to buy one just for the looks and she was good with the way I ordered it. It wasn't quite as high as a 4wd so the front tires would rub the fenders just a bit on a long deep dip but all that did was rub off the upper push fastener that was at the center of the flare....
This one has been pretty good to us over the years. I have replaced the brake pads and rotors along with the tires a couple times. Only non maintenance things I can think of was a cam sensor, Idle air sensor and throttle position sensor and one door lock solenoid. Biggest complaint I have with it is the piss poor fuel mileage the 4.7 Jeep engine allows. My wife won't give up on it though so I guess it is cheaper than a new one. It seems like all the new vehicles have too many bells and whistles anyway. My financial guy told me the other day his new BMW almost got him killed when he wanted to take a left turn from a 4 lane street. He had a break in traffic and jumped on the gas to make his turn and the Beamer jammed on the brakes and almost got him hit head on. I think I want to stick with vehicles I can drive rather than the ones making my decisions for me.

My 2015 JGC has plastic radiator , just replaced it at 100,000 miles . Leaked at the seam of plasticc tank and the fins. Cant remember last time I had to replace a radiator.
That's cuz you moved out of this hellhole and went to a warm, sunny climate! :poke:

youll be doing it again in 5 years....... the current batch of available parts is a joke

I'm on radiator three on the 2000 Dak R/T.
...and the 5th water pump.
178,000 miles.

My mom has an 02 3.9 and I'm doing her third water pump when the parts come in.
She's on her second radiator.
106,500 miles.

Cooling system is the common idiosyncratic issue with pre ".7 motor" Dakotas/Durangos.

At least the parts are relatively cheap and relatively easy to replace.
...and at least it's not piston rings, head gaskets, or transmissions.

had a 21 vice white hellcat durango
Damn hey, on another thread I was complaining about my new Dodge Challenger (that was 1973) getting messed up by the dealer under warranty work scratching the rally cluster bezel having it replaced and later finding out when driving it at night, they didn’t install it correctly. They still haven’t figured out how to avoid unnecessary damage after all these years?
SORRY the hear your ride was stolen..

I have the hood from a Shelby SP 360 that I bought for my Dakota R/T.

...and it's from one of the 16 red ones!
99 Shelby Durango SP360 Supercharged 5.9ltr. candy red-white front.jpg

a red one with aftermarket wheels/tires
99 Shelby Durango SP360 Supercharged 5.9ltr. candy red-white.jpg

my blue & white one was #33, IIRC, had a lil' alum. plate under the hood
(rad support) with the
Shelby SP 360 #33 (or something like this)
99 Shelby Durango SP360 Supercharged 5.9ltr. B5 blue - underhood plaque.jpg

Last edited:
Just got mine from the upfitter hopefully she makes it. The 19 it replaced had a fondness for loosing AC condensers.

I have a 2021. The video didn't mention which engine it was (unless I missed it). I have the 5.7, no issues so far, fingers crossed. I will not say how much my new brake pads cost though :screwy:

I owned a new 2000 Dakota, first year quad cab, 4X4, 360, loaded. While I loved it more than any of the new trucks i've owned, it was not without it's problems. Recall upper and lower ball joints, power window regulators, tension pulleys, transmission twice, relays that control fan, and lights, A/C, rear end noise and bumpers that like to rust. I had it taken to my plant and put in the shaker booth to track down some buzz, squeaks and rattles, the deal could never find. It was better than the new gutless 97 and 98 Ram 360 trucks I owned. I owned a new 2002 straight cab, short bed 2 wheel drive 4.7, 2004 straight cab, short bed 2 wheel drive hemi and a 2004, 4 door, short bed 2 wheel hemi. The engines all were pretty good, but the 98 blew a head gasket and a rear main within the first 15,000 miles of owning it, all were new. They were all a problem in one way or the other and were sold within 20,000 miles, except the Dakota and the 4 door hemi, they were sold with just over a 120,000 miles. The only trucks I owned by Chrysler that were great were my 88 and 91 Comanche, bought new, one was a 5 speed and the other was a automatic, 4X4 Eliminators. The worst of the worst was my 86 ram D50. I worked there and had it not been for that fact and the fact that my friend owned the dealership I traded with and my other friend was a the plant manager, I'd never have bought another. My new 91 dodge minivan went back to the plant and spent two days being taken apart to replace a cracked evaporator housing. I got rid of it because of an oil consumption problem, a quart every 800 miles from the day I bought it, and a limp mode problem in the transmission. My plant manager friend had it brought back to the plant to keep the plant warranty numbers down, we were having that many problems. I've seen thousands of new trucks and vans come off the line in my time and had friends that have owned everything chrysler has ever made 10 times over. I've owned so many new cars and trucks from Chrysler that were pigs that I'm going to stop here. It's not about the cars that made it out and lasted, it's about the thousands that others bought and got screwed. I had several ways out and got great deals on them, but the poor people that bought all those dogs, never came back. I could have any vehicle Chrysler built in this country, ordered, built and shipped to your dealer in a 7 to 10 working days. That's great, but when they got screwed, they got screwed........... So, when my warranty is up on my Durango, so is my ownership of it. I'll deal with what to buy when that day comes.

Last edited:
This 98 with a 5.9l was/is a beast.
It had around 250,000 miles on the original magnum and still ran great.
It was used by a mason and loaded with a loader before my son bought it for $500.
It plowed and towed for years.
We only pulled the engine because the exhaust manifold bolts were rusted and started snapping.
He pulled a head and you could still see the crosshatch. Didn't even use much oil after all that use.
He still has it but the cab is ready to fall apart. It could be fixed but needs some time and effort.
1718894284625.png

We are on our fourth Durango, wife's car, we love it!
Current one is a 2020 about 60,000 miles, v6 is great, despite bad ratings on consumer reports we never had a problem with any of them.
I buy the base model becouse it comes with cloth seats, and that's what the wife wants.
Before it hits 100,000 miles its gone, I trade it in for a new one and pay cash for the difference.
Never had a loan on a car in my life, and never will.

So far I've never bought a lemon but the newest ChryCo product was a 2000 Durango. The only problem with that was a rear seat rattle and freeze plugs rusted out around 80k miles and I always kept the antifreeze fresh in it. The one that pissed me off was the rear plug so the trans had to come out. Other than that, my many Dakotas have been fine and all of my larger trucks have been fine too.

I have a 2021. The video didn't mention which engine it was (unless I missed it). I have the 5.7, no issues so far, fingers crossed. I will not say how much my new brake pads cost though :screwy:
If past experience serves...it's the Pentastar 3.6 V6. We replaced a ton of them when I worked in a CDJR service lane, and I had to replace the one on mom's 200. IIRC it's part of the oil filter housing, and the more oil changes you have, the more likely you'll crack the housing/cooler setup. Just the torquing of the filter on and off is what does it, combined with all the heat.

Auto Transport Service
Back