• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone seen this before? 440 Lettering.

74sundance

Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
I yanked this motor out of a 1968 Plymouth Fury it had never been rebuilt before.I found letters that look like they were painted on the bare casting and then painted over in the Chrysler blue engine paint.I had tunnel washed this block 2-3 times and then noticed the markings. I would have to guess that the paint brushed on under the blue washed off first and left the bare casting markings you see now.Anyone know what they mean?

Right bank B D D Left bank A C

runner 011.jpg
runner 012.jpg

runner 011.jpg

runner 012.jpg

Found letters on mine in same spots...was told they were put on there when engine was being built/machined to show tolerances or variances in cylinders. Mine had a D in a couple spots. Had a bunch of hemi orange markings inside the lifter gallery too.

engine markings.jpg

Very cool,thank's for posting the pic's and info.
Anyone else have pic's and info to add?

What those letters represent is what bin the piston that goes in that hole should come from. (the engine builder knew what piston to grab)

Auto Transport Service
Back