• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone use these cams street/strip

Tex013

Local time
9:53 PM
Reaction score
hi,
just narrowing down a cam replacement choice and wondering if anyone had used these cams,all solids
1 : Engle #2308 K8 256/256@050 573 gross lift 108 separation
2 : Lunati #60342 251/259@050 566/586 gross 110 searation,106 centreline
3 : Comp #XS290S 252/260@050 540/558 gross 110 separation ( similar to lunati ),106 centreline
4 : Comp #XTQ286S-8 256/266@050 550/570 gross 108 separation,108 centreline

these are to replace the 509 cam in my 68 Satellite.10.78 comp,stealth heads,single plane,825 mighty demon,9 1/2 dynamic vert flashes to 5100,4.1 gears,275/60R15 hoosier
car weighs 3764lbs with me,best Et 11.18,best MPH 119.47.
i currently shift at 6000,trap 6350.i would like to keep max RPM to 6500 or less,raise shift point but trap at 6500.calculaters say this should be around 121MPH allowing for converter slip,say 6-7%
i am looking to run 11.0's.the class i run cuts off at 11.00 plus lots more safety stuff - cage,suit different licence etc.
i do drive the car every day to work.i use a vacuum pump for the power brakes at the moment.

thoughts ?

Tex

your getting into what i would think of as "custom or special lobe specific" grinds. most people just run the shelf stuff and then there are those who want a lobe thats more specific to their build. i think all those lobe profiles would probably perform close to the same. i have used engles and like them but not that lobe profile. looks like the car performs well. going to any of those solid lifter profiles should let you easily meet your goal.

I have this in my satellite.

3 : Comp #XS290S 252/260@050 540/558 gross 110 separation

2dht,
how is that cam to drive ?
does it make good power ?
what are your impressions ?

Thanks for the replys

Tex

Lew,
your right i ran all but the engle through cam quest and all showed within 3 HP and 10 ftlb of torque
as an aside the lunati and comp xtq286s are what the respective companies recommended for me.
i have talked to engle,bullet and a couple of builders/head shops.
all bar bullet talk similar specs,bullet was smaller on the 050 duration.
i am just trying to get real world use appraisals

thanks again,

Tex

2dht,
how is that cam to drive ?
does it make good power ?
what are your impressions ?

Thanks for the replys

Tex

I don't really have that much experiece that I could say which one is best.
I haven't been on dyno with my car. I'm having 10,5 compr, 2800 stall and car is in every day use. Power comes on after 3000rpm...

Im looking at buying the Comp 290S as well. I use Comp Cams for my Stock Elim. car. I want to run in the high 10s low 11s, basicly the same as you. You can also call Comp and talk to the tech dept. They have lots of good lobes for Stock Elim. but there real agressive and need a lot of convertor, which you have. Question, are the cams you listed a lot more agressive under the nose than the mopar 509 cam? What will the HP and TQ increase be over the 509 cam? Im in the same boat as you, trying to pick a cam right now. I have a 4500 stall convertor, 10:5 to 1 64' Dodge Post Car, have no idea what it weights. I have a cross ram though, could be a big detremant..

Mark

2dht
thanks for the reply.

Mark,
thanks for your reply
i am aiming for 25-35 HP gain over the 509,this should be readily achievable.running the cams in camquest there is a 30-35 HP plus about 10ft lb torque gain.Valve timing shows far more aggressive ramp profiles over the 509
my aim is to run 11.0's down from the high 11.18-11.25 range
I am talking with Comp,i am leaning to the XTQ286 as an off the shelf cam - keep the 108 lobe seperation like the 509 which should help the power,but i am also asking them re a custom cam to my spec -single pattern - i'll wait and see.
i do have a big muscle car meet at the end of September and 2 more Mopar and Nostalgia meets in November so the cam change may have to wait till the end of the year
sounds like yor car will be a ball,not too many pre 68 Mopars running down here.always have liked them especially the 65's.
cross ram - i wish.don't they work better with some paddlepop sticks and putty :)
is it a Max Wedge or A&A stock port manifold ?
good luck
Tex

Its an A&A Stock port manifold. I just ported a set of 452s I had laying around. I got about 250 cfm out of them, not a lot, but I didnt go further than bowl work. It has a Pro Trans with the stock 2.45 low gear and roller bearings, no aluminum in it. Car has 4.10s and a loose 10" convertor. I pulled the engine out a few days back and was just gonna change heads and put a cam in it, but the piston was .170 down in the hole, so I ended up buying the SRP JE pistons for it, now im deciding on the cam.
You know I have a lot of NHRA Max Wedge customers that use Comp Stuff. There cams are 274 / 270 @ .050, and some even larger. Yes bigger on the intake. Those lobes are real agressive, so you need Shubecks, but they make a ton of power, but there probably not streetable.
In honesty, its sorta hard for me to pick the street / strip stuff, never really done it before, ive had serious race cars. I think that cam you said, the one bigger than the 290s might be the ticket for you, the lobes are probably more agressive under the curve, thats what makes good power, it just makes them thunder like hell.
You could also use a big intake lobe, put it on a 110 centerline, and put a little smaller exaust lobe on it. The overlap would decrease, which would smooth out the idle a bit. You have a lot of convertor, so you dont have to worry about it accelerating at the gear changes, it will, you dont need it to be on a 108

Mark

hey Mark,
thanks for the input
i run the SRP pistons,nice.got some Howards EDM lifters to go with the cam
i only run and help on street/strip cars.i tend a little conservative mostly,then everyone goes darn i need more cam.struth i only went 4.1 gears this year,ran 11.3's with a 3.9
i would like to try a cross ram or six pack but $$$.sure would be cool.i'll see what the cam does if it does give what i want there won't be any kind of need to try,except to show some bling.

Tex

pic

Attachments

• mopar rumble.jpg
    mopar rumble.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 811
I Love the lift off 6 pack hood cars, your is a 68 thought right? I have many customers in Kangaroo country, Dave Newcombe, was the 1st in the sixes in Pro Stock there using my headers, and half the field in PS uses my stuff as well. I race Stock Elim. D E F /SA with a 69 Barracuda. But I love the old B bodies !!! The guy that takes care of my Big Rig races 6 pack cars, he loves them. Thats what you need is a 6 pack on that car !!!
Anyways, I did some research on the cams. The XTQ286S has 45 degrees of overlap @.050, and the XTQ294S had 51 degrees @ .050. I think with as loose as your convertor is id use the XTQ294S-8 and if you want to be a little conservative, go with the smaller XTQ286S-8. I wouldnt take the XS290S if you gave it to me, well maybe for a door stop.
I think im gonna go with the XTQ286S-8 for my car. I dont have as much convertor as you do, but if your gonna keep the 4.10s that might be a smart choice as well.

Mark Lelchook
Performance Welding
Racing Headers

Attachments

• 21056509-388.jpg
    21056509-388.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 822
thanks Mark,
it is a 68 - just a bitsa.69 grill,70 dash and column
love your barracuda,a friend has a 273 67 model
as for prostock in the six's Willowbank has great air in June.weird track though,goes downhill after the finish line !
the 286 will be my choice if off the shelf bought,yes due to the 4.1 plus the maximum rpm i want to pull.should still make good power.
i'll take the six pack if you are offering :)
a mate i'm testing with this weekend has 2 A12 cars aPlymouth and a Dodge.he runs the Plymouth,has a eddy headed 512ci six pack motor
Dave is one smart racer.Prostock is my favourite after Doorslammer here in Aust.
thanks again for your input
this a link to the muscle car day
http://www.sydneydragway.com.au/?m=events&a=event_page&id=98

Tex

Ive been looking at lobes, and I need to stop and say to myself that all these cams will be within .05 of each other, at most. We dynod loads of cams on my stocker and they were all so close. I think im just gonna order the XTQ286S, im sure it will be close enough. Pro Stock has a race coming up I believe, I had to get 3 sets done asap for the guys, I think its on the 10th. I also do the header for Jason Line here in the US. Let me know what you end up doing.

Mark

cool,i'm going to the Fuchs Nationals Sept 9-10-11.
just watching this time
let me know how you go with the XTQ286
Tex

well after Saturday's T&T i'm not sure where i stand.though a solid is still on the cards
air was good 1300-1800DA approximately
temp sat around mid 70's
had 4 passes,car went
1/ [email protected] good
2/ [email protected] better
3/ [email protected] what the heck
4/ [email protected] held on the line due to slight oil down prior

DA was higher than when i went 11.18 by about 500 plus feet
mates cars -
Andrew 10.66@124
Greg 11.50@117

good day was had by all

Tex

shot on the fast run,Gregs A12 roadrunner,Andrews Cuda

Tex

Attachments

• 11-WAP331493  030911T&T.jpg
    11-WAP331493 030911T&T.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 734
  • 11-WAP331392  030911T&T.jpg
    11-WAP331392 030911T&T.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 735
  • 11-WAP331391  030911T&T.jpg
    11-WAP331391 030911T&T.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 762
just an update for any who are interested.
been busy at work,racing at the Mopar Rumble then Retro Drags the next 2 Sundays then OS for holidays.So no work done to the Satellite.
There was a bit of drama with Greg's(512ci) A12.i did some tuning on the carbs then off to a private day he went.And broke the crank woodruff key on the first burn out.9 valves later :angryfire:
As it was his motor was under cammed,247/251@050 549/556 lift i suggested a bigger stick.
We fitted the Lunati #60342.
was a real nice improvement.Sounded nicer/tougher.
Went to the dyno,power went from 406rwhp to 444rwhp,tq from 800 to 900.i did increase outer carb jetting whilst there though we ran out of time,it was still a little lean and i have added more.#79 - 85 - 89
Certainly a very nice cam,very streetable.
We will see how it goes at the Mopar Rumble this Sunday
Tex

I got the 440 back together, I had a custom cam ground. They used the Ford lobes so the cam wouldnt be too agressive on parts. It is 270 intake 269 exhaust on a 109 lobe seperation. Its actually very streetable now that ive got it jetted correctly on the primary side. It idles at 1400 in gear and 1900 out of gear. The cranking compression is only 135 if i remember right, did that a while back, but it works well on pump gas, 91 octane. The car ran a 11.59 at 116 with only a 1.75 sixty foot, its spun real hard, I lifted, then got back into it. I think 11.20s are easily possible even with the 4 .10 gears and the 10 " convertor. I only made one pass as the track was packed, ill take it out to a bracket race asap. I think its over cammed, wish I had gone a bit smaller. I think it would be great if i put 4.56s in it and an 8" convertor, i bet it would go straight into the 10s. I did the whole rebuild for under $2500 bucks.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back