• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone using vintage Air in their 71?

70chall440

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
I am doing the planning to build my 71 Charger, it was an original AC car and thus I am looking to put it back in. I see that Vintage air doesn't offer a kit for a 71 but I am told that one for a 69/70 would work, anyone done this?

I am doing the planning to build my 71 Charger, it was an original AC car and thus I am looking to put it back in. I see that Vintage air doesn't offer a kit for a 71 but I am told that one for a 69/70 would work, anyone done this?

Same issue for me but 72 charger a/c car. looking for a complete system but classic air and vintage air say look through catalog. It would be nice to hear from someone that got something to fit!

My factory system converted to 134 works pretty good.

You can also get "just" a sanden compressor and brackets to work with the rest of the factory system.

I have installed 2 in 70 B-Bodies, I can't see it "Not" working.

I have been looking too as I have two 3rd gen Chargers with A/C. My plan is to go with a firewall forward kit and rebuild my original box to keep all the factory controls and vents. In SC A/C is a must!

I put Classic Auto Air on our 73 Satellite. It works great, but the one belt system I don't like, I can't get the belt to quit squealing.

I used vintage air in my 1971 charger non ac car. It took some work but its in and works really good.

I've used both Classic Air and Vintage Air in E bodies. I'll never use another Classic. Vintage is much better. The box itself would work in 71-4 B. The main problem is the controls. They haven't made one that replaces the factory control. Think they a make a universal under dash one?
I've made my own lines as I didn't care for their routing.
My buddy converted his E body a/c to 134a with Sandon compressors. He modified the factory compressor brackets for the new Sandon compressor and used 2 belts like the factory. No one that we could find makes the conversion brackets for 2 belts.

Can some of the guys who have used the various systems post some pictures?

So what I am hearing (reading) is that the main issue is that of the controls? I admit that I really don't know anything about the aftermarket systems but I "believe" the issue is that for the aftermarket system the controls are electronic verses the old school cables or vacuum, is this a correct statement?

I did cut the firewall and welded in a piece to drill the holes where I wanted them. I tried to make it look like it should have been. The ac controls are no big deal. I bought a piece of abs plastic and used a heat gun to form it to fit the cluster. Drill it so the controls fit the plastic and the will fit without cutting the cluster.

20200314_184242.jpg 20200116_060137.jpg 20200116_060030.jpg

The main thing I don't like about the Classic setup is they use micro switches. One broke and had to take the box completely apart to replace the switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back