• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AR-5, r-154 Anybody actually done this

96Formula6sp

Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
Alright everybody. I am continuing on working on our 1972 coronet lemons car project. Car has a 318. Anyways I am looking into our transmission swap. Right now we have an A833 overdrive. Nothing wrong with that. Sourcing a bellhousing is becoming a little bit of a pain as well as factory pedals. Well at least for a good price. I don't want to spend $600 on pedals and linkages. Then another $300 in a bellhousing (seriously what is going on with mopar prices). So I was wondering if anybody had done the Dakota Bellhousing with a r-154 or ar-5. Seen talk of it but nobody actually goes anywhere with it. Is there a reason nobody has. Anybody have any good links to info. Not worried about doing custom work. Just trying to find answers on basic things like input shafts, clutches etc. Stuff like slave cylinders would be easy as well as getting a driveshaft made up. Even making a mount is not hard.

24 hours of Lemons? What's wrong with an auto with a good cooler? Some friends of mine were looking at doing a car but they were looking at me to supply the car. Screw that....wasn't about to give up on anything I had laying around as far as Mopar was concerned! Anyways, after looking at things, we settled on a beat up early Ford Mustang and a C4 with a 3.50 gear but they backed out when I didn't want to supply the majority of the equipment etc IE tools and so on. Imo, it would have been a ton of fun but I wasn't ready to be the major supplier.

Well the 727 on its very last legs. Was rebuilt before and has a big cooler on it. We would like a manual transmission. Shoot we have it on hand. But with the crazy prices for a833 stuff I am looking into other options. Race day is September at CMP. Will be about 95+ with good humidity. So making an automatic last is a challenge. Some can do it if you baby it.

That being said we are still making it a stick shift. Just got to figure out how. I mean at least they wont look at the car to much. Not to much left anyways.

So working on that. But if I can get an ar-5 from the pick and pull as well as the Dakota bellhousing and make stuff work for around $750 all in that would be great. Plus we have a a833 overdrive unit that we could then sell back. I am just trying to see if anybody has done this. Right now loads of people have thought about it and even bought transmissions then the forum posts go cold. Most are from 2009-2013. Just trying to figure out if it is even possible.

Can't imagine why a 727 won't work for you. I ran them for 20 years, had very few issues, used a couple of front bands. I ran my cars at the track in 95+ degree for many months. No real problems.

Can't imagine why a 727 won't work for you. I ran them for 20 years, had very few issues, used a couple of front bands. I ran my cars at the track in 95+ degree for many months. No real problems.

Was this circle track, drag racing? Our race is 8 hours one day an 8 the next on a road course. Straight threw with no stops other than gas and driver changes. The biggest issue is heat. The old owners of this car did not have issues. But its third race the rebuilt trans is done. Car did not finish the race. It still moves but it would probably only last about an hour or less on track. We also are maybe looking into a true 24 hour race. So keeping a 727 alive for that long might also be an issue. This is why we are looking to swap to a manual transmission. Make stuff simple. The less stuff we have to worry about the better.

Well....you didn't ask, but I will still suggest you re-think it. The real issue is finding a set of pedals cheap. I got my last Lakewood bellhousing for $100. You're asking for less than $750 & pricing out the std. A-833 at $900....just saying.

if you were near chicago, i would give you a 727 I have laying around taking up space. condition unknown though.

Well....you didn't ask, but I will still suggest you re-think it. The real issue is finding a set of pedals cheap. I got my last Lakewood bellhousing for $100. You're asking for less than $750 & pricing out the std. A-833 at $900....just saying.

Well I have a a833 overdrive in the garage. We picked that up last year. Problem is sourcing all the other stuff at a decent price. Had talked of ditching all the linkage,zbar setup for a pull style salve cylinder and a Willwood pedal assembly. This would cut the cost down to $275 for pedal,salve,lines,and a master cylinder. Problem is getting a bellhousing at decent price. Lost one last night for $310 on ebay last night. Our problem is we need the overdrive 5.25 inch bellhousing. Found another problem with the overdrive transmission. Gearing is pretty bad. I mean we are dealing with a mostly stock 318 but even with 245/40/15 tires we will be running its still going to need work. Going with a ar-5 would allow us to use the current tire setup as well as the factory 2.74 rear gear. Would be nice to have a limited slip diff but that is another problem for later.

if you were near chicago, i would give you a 727 I have laying around taking up space. condition unknown though.

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. Already have a 727 laying around in the car. Don't need another.

Sounds like using a racing trans might be even better.........like a Jerico 4 speed...?

Sounds like using a racing trans might be even better.........like a Jerico 4 speed...?
Dont need anything that fancy. I mean this is endurance racing. Plus this is lemons. Value of the car needs to be around $500. Throwing a couple grand at the transmission is not the answer. Not that money is flowing on this project but if we can save a few hundred dollars that is great. We have 5 people on the team so we can split the budget.

Or a Liberty??

Libtery bellhousing bolts up. The problem I have been seeing is starter. Its different and will not touch the flywheel teeth if you are using a dakota bellhousing.

I know where there's a Jerico that's never been installed in anything laying around and it looks like the guy isn't going to ever use it....

Liberty bellhousing bolts up. The problem I have been seeing is starter. Its different and will not touch the flywheel teeth if you are using a dakota bellhousing.

what if you use a Dakota (or similar) mini starter?

I know where there's a Jerico that's never been installed in anything laying around and it looks like the guy isn't going to ever use it....

Could be fun but a bellhousing is $650 unless there is a non sfi laying around. One of the team members has a t-10 laying around. So for $650 we could get a bellhousing no matter what. Either for a Jerico, A833, T10. Just dont want to spend the money there. Its not like we are spinning crazy rpm so a factory one should be fine if we can use it.

what if you use a Dakota (or similar) mini starter?

Hrm more reading is its for a 10.5 inch flywheel but the depth is different. Dakota uses a 10. So would have to figure that out. Not down and out yet but still looking.

I've got a complete NP535 5-spd setup I ran in my old '72 D100 for a while behind a mild 318, I'd sell it pretty cheap. Only thing you'd have to do is figure out how to hook up a clutch pedal. I have all the hydraulics, brackets, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft etc. You have to have the shaft shortened up I'm sure, Carolina Driveline can do that easy. That's actually who I had make it 8 or so years ago. And I'm pretty local to you, Just over in Spartanburg County in the Campobello area ;)

I've got a complete NP535 5-spd setup I ran in my old '72 D100 for a while behind a mild 318, I'd sell it pretty cheap. Only thing you'd have to do is figure out how to hook up a clutch pedal. I have all the hydraulics, brackets, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft etc. You have to have the shaft shortened up I'm sure, Carolina Driveline can do that easy. That's actually who I had make it 8 or so years ago. And I'm pretty local to you, Just over in Spartanburg County in the Campobello area ;)

Might be an idea. But I am kinda liking the ar5 idea from the truck. Good gearing, easy replacements and looking to be a cheap project. Tomorrow is the meeting with the lemons team. Hopefully we will have and idea on what to do then.

Well taking the ar5 plunge. We have sourced a bellhousing and the transmission. Next up is to pull the engine out and mate up stuff on the bench.

I will do a write up later. However anyone who may have been following this thread this happened today.

Ar-5 behind a 318 in a 72 Dodge Coronet.

Car has gone on track. No issues after five 20 minute session. Should be a great combo for the lemons race.

That's cool man ,we've been racing a $500 trans am in scca for the past 4 years it's a pos but with a little help from my Chevy buddys and the local junk yard we bang in 1st place every time . Up until the car went up in flames ,then the insurance company payed us $5000 for the car , we're throwing a 89 firebird together now with the trans ams old parts

Auto Transport Service
Back