• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASTRO PNEUMATIC GOLIATH BALL JOINT XL C-FRAME PRESS

JR_Charger

Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
Thinking about getting one of these -

Screenshot_20240505_235923.jpeg

They're typically around $85-90, but I'm also seeing a "version" in the $55-65 range -

Screenshot_20240506_000034.jpeg

So I guess "Upgrade" and "Pneumatic" are the Chineseum knock-off brands? Is the Astro brand the "real" one? Is it any good?

Same box different name it looks like. I’d buy a good used one before one of those but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Why a press? the uppers are screw in and my lowers came with the arm.
ball joint.jpg

OTC used to be Owatana Tool Company. Now, oriental tool company. Astro makes several of the tools you find on the Matco truck btw

I've rented them from Advance Auto. Auto Zone has them also. Requires a deposit with a full refund when returned. It's another one of those tools you might use once a year.

I removed lower ball joints from a 2500 Ram to pressing out wheel studs.

Advanced seemed to have the most rental tools, at least in my area. You have to pay full new price and it is refunded when returned.
I just went through this with a coolant pressure tester. I was going to buy one, Chinese ones are 150-200. Then it’s a pos, sitting around the garage until you need it every year or two.

Advance had a really nice one, it was around 300, but I got it all back when I returned it a week later.

I’ve noticed a lot of stuff nowadays is reboxed and rebranded..

Why a press? the uppers are screw in and my lowers came with the arm. View attachment 1658949

Upper control arm bushings, universal joints, I think I did something on the front leaf spring bushing. Maybe pushed the rusted bolts out. I'm getting ready to install new universal joints in the driveshaft. Not sure if a C-frame press is necessary or even useful, but I found it useful during removal.

Have you looked at OTC?

I dunno - could have been the brand of the C-frame press I rather stupidly ruined.

I've rented them from Advance Auto. Auto Zone has them also. Requires a deposit with a full refund when returned. It's another one of those tools you might use once a year.

I removed lower ball joints from a 2500 Ram to pressing out wheel studs.

I own a big kit for removing ball joints and bushings. I'm trying to replace the C-frame press from the kit, which always seemed a bit narrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back