• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automotive Carpet Underpad

HYRDGOON

Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
Have any of you ever used an automotive carpet underpad like those that would be found in new cars for sound deadening like this one shown?

Seizure RT Carpet Padding.jpg

That looks like Jute pad. I used Dynamat. I have installed jute pad behind the dash, rear seat divider, and the package tray. My new carpet has that on the bottom side of the carpet already and the seats do also. I imagine yours will be a very quiet ride!!!!

I can't see why it wouldn't work well.....Just as long as you paint it body color! Bawwwhahahahahaaaaa!
Beat me to it, Will. Lol. I prefer dynomat or one of the copies, it works wonders.

A couple of things to think about.

If your carpet is form fitted, it may no longer fit. It may trap water and set up rusting from the inside out. I saw this happen when I looked at a car advertised as "always garaged and never driven in winter". When I inspected the floor pan, there were two major holes in the floor pan. The explanation from the owner was that the moon roof had been left open during a drenching summer rainstorm and water got trapped under the carpet and never dried out.

When I replaced the floor in my runner I had a spray on coating (1/4 in thick) of material similar to what you would find in the bed of a pickup truck applied for sound deadening.

Another concern is to not put padding that is very thick on the left side of the tunnel near the firewall. I did this and had to remove some because the right side of my foot would drag on the tunnel while using the accelerator pedal. I imagined that it would abrade the carpet in a short time.

I can't see why it wouldn't work well.....Just as long as you paint it body color! Bawwwhahahahahaaaaa!

**shakes head**

A couple of things to think about.

If your carpet is form fitted, it may no longer fit. It may trap water and set up rusting from the inside out. I saw this happen when I looked at a car advertised as "always garaged and never driven in winter". When I inspected the floor pan, there were two major holes in the floor pan. The explanation from the owner was that the moon roof had been left open during a drenching summer rainstorm and water got trapped under the carpet and never dried out.

When I replaced the floor in my runner I had a spray on coating (1/4 in thick) of material similar to what you would find in the bed of a pickup truck applied for sound deadening.

Car doesn't see rain and garage stored so kept away from nasty weather conditions... This is essentially what is in most vehicles we buy today so don't see why it would be any worse of an issue

Another concern is to not put padding that is very thick on the left side of the tunnel near the firewall. I did this and had to remove some because the right side of my foot would drag on the tunnel while using the accelerator pedal. I imagined that it would abrade the carpet in a short time.

Thanks Dave I'll keep that in mind.

The car in the pic isn't mine but I'm most likely doing the same thing

The interior shop that's stitching my interior up uses a material allot like that on all of they're jobs "I personally think the price of some of the automotive sound deadening these days is just a flat out rip off". My only concern would be what Roadrunnerron said about the moisture, most rusted floors that I've seen had thick padding.

The interior shop that's stitching my interior up uses a material allot like that on all of they're jobs "I personally think the price of some of the automotive sound deadening these days is just a flat out rip off". My only concern would be what Roadrunnerron said about the moisture, most rusted floors that I've seen had thick padding.

The price is definitely what's weighing in as part of the consideration and I understand the moisture concerns... A full roll of this stuff that should do at least 2 cars is $130 way more economical than other alternatives

Auto Transport Service
Back