• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baby, Can You Drive My Car? Not If It’s a Stick Shift

What makes no sense to me is the 10 speed auto in this company-issued Ford F250.
I don't see where any car or light truck needs friggin 10 gears....
Only thing needs 10 speeds is a bicycle - or a semi rig.

Get this, and I swear it's the truth:
My mother can  only drive a stick shift.
She finally passed her test in her 60's and she can't drive an auto. She reckons the car feels like it's running away from her if she tries to drive an auto.
I think Steven Wright made a joke about it, but for her it's real life.
She's very special, my mother.
For the first 30 years of my life my mom only drove sticks. A 60 VW bug, a 72 Pinto, which I learned to drive stick with and bought from her for $200 to use as a beater senior year of HS instead of my T/A Challenger, a 80 Rabbit, and a 86 Taurus MT5.
She’s been driving automatics since around 90, she’s 90 now and needs to give up driving soon if not now IMO.
My dad had automatics but he was an avid Ham radio guy with radios in his car, shifting would of interfered with his incessant yapping on his Ham radio!

It’s crazy how light duty vehicles have so many gears. The final result is usually close to equal to some 3,4 and 5 speeds depending on the rear differential ratio. So all that shifting and what have you gained besides headaches.

The twin stick in my buddies bulldog will blow folks minds.. he used to be a pro at suicide shifting with it...

Last edited:
My wife can also drive a stick, no problem. She grew up on a farm and learned on farm trucks as a kid. She can handle our Satellite just fine. I taught our daughter how to drive it when she was 24. The only stick she's ever driven, and she can drive it well. She doesn't like it as much as the push buttons of our '64, though.

I gave up many years (decades) ago trying to teach my wife how to drive a stick. I put her behind the wheel of my 78 Honda Accord on an interstate trip on the turnpike when I got sleepy. A Honda Accord back then was about the easiest stick shift there was to drive. She got it underway finally but then we came to a toll booth that had about 7 or 8 cars in line paying manually to an attendant to go through. After a few minutes the last of the 7/8 cars was pulling away from the booth but we we were still about 6 car lengths back - dump the clutch, kill engine, restart car, dump clutch, kill engine, restart car, dump clutch, kill engine. . . . .etc. Meanwhile the woman toll attendant is leaning out of her booth glaring at us and obviously wondering what the hell is with us. Wife grows more and more frustrated, Accord clutch is taking a beating but finally after a few more minutes we make it and get rolling again. That was only one of a couple driving fiascos in trying to get her use to a stick on that trip. I finally decided it wasn’t worth killing my car over and just gave us and never tried to teach her again.

I'm swapping a TKO into my red Challenger vert... Coral isn't happy about it... Insists she'll never drive the car... Well she hasn't driven it with an automatic either... Plus until 2001 she'd never owned an automatic.... First two cars were three on the tree...A59 Impala & a 65 Fairlane Sport Coupe.... After that she owned a bunch of Volkswagens & a couple early Broncos...

If she want's to drive an automatic I've got the green Challenger vert.... She drove it twenty feet in a parking lot once in the last 30 years..

I recently read a news story about how it's almost impossible to engineer a standard trans car made for the US market to meet the current emission rules.

Seems phony to me...

I recently read a news story about how it's almost impossible to engineer a standard trans car made for the US market to meet the current emission rules.

Seems phony to me...
Has a lot more to do with them having all functions of the car under control of the onboard processors...
All this drive by wire stuff alone makes me nervous as hell, especially now that they're doing that with
steering and brakes!

Of course, there's the costs associated with them having to get fed certification of each driveline configuration,
too....and for as low a take rate as manuals are these days, the bean counters determined it just isn't worth
it when coupled with all the additional engineering and development (return on investment).

Eh, future folks' problems, not mine - I'm not the target customer anyways, since I'm never planning on buying
anything anywhere near new again for a myriad of reasons.

What makes no sense to me is the 10 speed auto in this company-issued Ford F250.
Just like that bike, my Durango with a V6 needs more gears to pull that 5000 pounds around. Six's back in the day were junk with a two speed powerglide. My Durango pulls pretty good and shifts when it wants to, to keep it in that sweet spot.

I learned to drive on a stick and had at least one till I got rid of my Saleen. Sticks are great, but that Saleen pulled like a freight and all I did was run gears constantly to keep up with it winding faster than an eight day clock. When you get over 700 HP with these new monsters, a stick is a waste of time. 4 speeds need less shifting, six speeds are geared closer and need more attention. They do wind well, my viper was a killer in second gear and 2500 RPM's. Just run you foot to the floor and don't let up till you don't see the car that was next to you anymore. Put the clutch in and pull it into 4th and let it out and it calmed right down and was happy. I do like sticks and drove a 4 speed Charger not to long ago and it was great. 700 plus HP with an eight speed automatic and paddle shift, if you want it, is a machine that's hard to beat. Did I mention, my knees appreciate it too.

When I started driving a truck in 1976, 10 and 13 speed transmissions were the norm, with a single stick, and air servos for multiple ranges. Old school guys still ran twin stick Macks, or Spicer 4x4s, which featured 16 forward gears. Mack also had a single stick five speed, popular on company fleet trucks. Low power to weight ratios made multiple gears a necessity, and for top speed, the more the better. My last truck had nearly double the horsepower and torque of my old '71 International with an 8V71 Detroit Diesel, yet both pulled the same gross weight.

In the 1970s and early 80s, Mack was still a vertically integrated manufacturer, meaning they made all their own components. They would not install a transmission from a competitor. The company I spent 20 years with bought a 1982 Mack R model that had been reposessed from an owner/operator. The factory five speed had been replaced with a dual range 9-speed Fuller Road Ranger. That truck would cruise at over 80 miles an hour versus 68 for the rest of the fleet, and climb the mountain outside of town at 10 mph faster than any of the five speeds. Fuel mileage averaged over six miles per gallon, compared to five for the other trucks.

Shortly before production of the R model ended in the late 80s, Mack relented, and started offering multiple range transmissions from other vendors, after their own attempt at that configuration proved a bust. I'm not an engineer, but I suspect similar considerations are driving the trend in today's passenger vehicles.

When I started driving a truck in 1976, 10 and 13 speed transmissions were the norm, with a single stick, and air servos for multiple ranges. Old school guys still ran twin stick Macks, or Spicer 4x4s, which featured 16 forward gears. Mack also had a single stick five speed, popular on company fleet trucks. Low power to weight ratios made multiple gears a necessity, and for top speed, the more the better. My last truck had nearly double the horsepower and torque of my old '71 International with an 8V71 Detroit Diesel, yet both pulled the same gross weight.

In the 1970s and early 80s, Mack was still a vertically integrated manufacturer, meaning they made all their own components. They would not install a transmission from a competitor. The company I spent 20 years with bought a 1982 Mack R model that had been reposessed from an owner/operator. The factory five speed had been replaced with a dual range 9-speed Fuller Road Ranger. That truck would cruise at over 80 miles an hour versus 68 for the rest of the fleet, and climb the mountain outside of town at 10 mph faster than any of the five speeds. Fuel mileage averaged over six miles per gallon, compared to five for the other trucks.

Shortly before production of the R model ended in the late 80s, Mack relented, and started offering multiple range transmissions from other vendors, after their own attempt at that configuration proved a bust. I'm not an engineer, but I suspect similar considerations are driving the trend in today's passenger vehicles.
Our 96 International DT466E box truck has a Spicer 5-speed. Easiest damn manual to drive. Half the time you don't even have to use the clutch. Just rev match it and it'll slide right into gear.

The auto industry has gone the way the big trucks have, it’s cheaper for someone else to build your driveline and their problem when it fails. The new Detroit’s are nothing more than rebranded Mercedes engines... the old series 60 was built under Penske and was dang good. Transmissions & axles are available from Detroit as well but Meritor, Spicer and Hendrickson own the industry. Hard to believe that we have gone this way. The auto industry has more import stuff designed in then ever and that cut costs drastically, all three are guilty. It’s all about profit and bigger bonuses and cutting costs while satisfying the current administration. Screw the end user as long as it makes out of warranty. Just my opinion.

Both my trucks are manual. My B-body and Mustang Cobra are manual. The only (street) vehicle I have that is an auto is my Cadillac. The Cad is a pleasure to drive because it's an auto.

I'm teaching my youngest to drive manual. Of all the manual options I have the GTX is the easiest to drive. So that is the choice. He's a little intimated because of higher power engine. But after explaining. "Power is in your right foot. The old gal Plymouth can putt at 30 MPH just fine."

The only difference in the GTX is that's its a higher gear set with the 28" tall rear tires and 3.54:1 Dana rear. At 30 MPH the 440 is not happy in 4th gear. 3rd is preferable. Even 2nd is better than 4th. All the other vehicles are deeper geared and 4th is fine for 30 MPH. Especially the 6 speeds. I think he is getting the torque difference of different vehicles.

Last edited:
To me, those who drive or learned drive, a manual trans are more likely to pay attention to their driving and not multi tasking the wrong way.
Before I went to hand controls, I drove two million miles with a stick. I felt like a dinosaur. Everyone in my family can drive a stick as well.
View attachment 1689432View attachment 1689433
Lol, those 2-stick Mack transmissions always screwed me up. Always loved “power downshifting “ those Fullers when going up a steep hill.

Auto Transport Service
Back