• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backup light switch 68 Coronet

OTOT1

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:02 PM
Reaction score
I do not have backup lights right now. I am new to Mopar and trying to learn as much as I can. How do I get to the reverse light switch? It is an automatic 68 coronet 440. The service manual is not helping me much. Do I need to drop the column?

Its the Neutral Safety switch on the Transmission. There is a 3 wire connector plugged onto it. Make sure the connector is on it and plugged in. Driver side of the transmission its the only wires going to it so its not confusing.

Here is the connector and its wiring.
connector_efef1edcbe709fc72df54b68a644b6a7e61c6f5d.jpg

Here is the location of the NSS

droppedimage_3-jpg.jpg

Its the Neutral Safety switch on the Transmission. There is a 3 wire connector plugged onto it. Make sure the connector is on it and plugged in. Driver side of the transmission its the only wires going to it so its not confusing.

Here is the connector and its wiring.
View attachment 1689416

Here is the location of the NSS

View attachment 1689417
He is asking about the back up light switch. Which in 68 is either on the column or on the floor shift.

He is asking about the back up light switch. Which in 68 is either on the column or on the floor shift.
Umm number 3 on the wiring schematic is the reverse light feed. And as far as I have ever seen the NSS is what turns on your reverse lights. I have not seen a switch in the column or the console. Pretty sure the NSS does the switching. Possibly in 68 but I'm not aware of that. So I may be wrong.

Just found a picture of the switch you are talking about. I stand corrected. :) NOS Mopar Back Up Light Switch 1967-8 All Column Shift Auto Trans - Hiltop Auto Parts

I do not have backup lights right now. I am new to Mopar and trying to learn as much as I can. How do I get to the reverse light switch? It is an automatic 68 coronet 440. The service manual is not helping me much. Do I need to drop the column?
The switch is in group 19 steering columns.

BACK UP.JPG

Thanks all. But I know what it looks like just not understanding where it is exactly it is on the column and if I need to remove it or dash to get to it. Really don’t want to screw it up.

More than likely the plastic actuator bat is gone.

The replacement is not reproduced.

Various fixes from taping the hole for a nylon screw to upgrading the transmission rooster comb for a 1969 or newer switch.

I'll see if I have any pictures of my fix.

Ok I found where it goes so it looks like the operating lever is broken so I will need to figure that out.

More than likely the plastic actuator bat is gone.

The replacement is not reproduced.

Various fixes from taping the hole for a nylon screw to upgrading the transmission rooster comb for a 1969 or newer switch.

I'll see if I have any pictures of my fix.
Thank you

I used a 1/4 20 tap that had the flat bottom. Got about three threads tapped. Ended up using a nylon screw about 1.25 inches long. Working great.

IMG_20240118_120258289.jpg

IMG_20240118_120658970.jpg

Ok. So I will need to take column out of car! I’ll try it! Thanks
Not necessarily. If you can contort into position with the gear selector in 1 you might be able to tap it.

I have the same problem. For now I'm not digging in deep enough to tap and put in a screw. So I added a simple surface mount SPST toggle switch under the left dash and actuate it myself until I fix it right someday.

Auto Transport Service
Back