• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Balancer/Converter question

Cudatali

Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
I am currently building my 440 which I had the machine shop balance for me. It’s a forged crank and L2355 pistons My question is, what harmonic balancer should I use? Am I right in assuming it should be a Zero balance Balancer and any converter I use shouldn’t have any weights?? I intend to use stock front accessories and will be running A/C on the car so that also makes me wonder if I would have any problems using a Fluiddamper(s) I have on the shelf. Thanks for sharing any wisdom

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ask your machine shop if it’s an internal or external balance engine.

Ask your machine shop if it’s an internal or external balance engine.
So the fact that they balanced the whole rotating assembly doesn’t make it internally balanced? Rods were shaved, areas of the crank were grinded, drilled and Heavy Metal was added to the rear counterweight.
Thanks for any clarification

Not necessarily. If it’s a stock build with a cast crank then it’s probably externally balanced. To be sure, ask your machinist how it was balanced. How did you tell them to balance it?

Not necessarily. If it’s a stock build with a cast crank then it’s probably externally balanced. To be sure, ask your machinist how it was balanced. How did you tell them to balance it?
It wasn’t discussed honestly. It’s a stock forged crank ( I thought I had put that in my original post ) upgraded to the six pack pistons. I just asked for a full balance. It’s been a year since I picked it up so I can’t remember if it was discussed.

It wasn’t discussed honestly. It’s a stock forged crank ( I thought I had put that in my original post ) upgraded to the six pack pistons. I just asked for a full balance. It’s been a year since I picked it up so I can’t remember if it was discussed.
You did put the crank in the original post but you did not specify which rods.

Auto Transport Service
Back