• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ball Joint dust boot arthritis challenge

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
Holy cow! I'm rebuilding my front suspension on my '75 Scamp, and these Moog K772 Upper dust boots are a major bitch to get on by hand.
Same part fits my '68 Road Runner. Can anybody share some techniques? The boots for the lowers appear just as difficult.
Thanks guys!

Some lube perhaps? Something that is not petroleum based like Sil-lube.

I went through this on my 67 recently. I had a piece of pipe that was the right diameter to just fit over the boot and rest on the boot flange. I used a piece wood and hammer to tap the pipe and press the boot onto the joint.

I don't remember having any trouble with the bottom ones. The top ones were a pain until I figured a way to press them on.

You have to find something that fits snug without any play. I'm using a bearing race then a conduit coupler.
20230811_203937.jpg
20230811_204016.jpg
20230811_204023.jpg

Then gently press it on. Hitting it with a hammer would just bounce off.
20230812_122643.jpg

20230812_122653.jpg

Last set of ball joints I did (I think they were Mevotech) came with heavy plastic shells to install the boots. They fit over the boot flange & tapped on with a hammer to seat them, but yeah, they fit very tight now a days & are near impossible to install by hand, but they DO stay in place.

That looks similar to my Harbor Freight 6 ton press. For the money one of the handiest tools I have when I need it. Nice photo explanation.

That looks similar to my Harbor Freight 6 ton press. For the money one of the handiest tools I have when I need it. Nice photo explanation.
Actually it's the 20 ton press. They would go on sale for $99. every now and then. Can't beat it.

I don't remember having any trouble with the bottom ones. The top ones were a pain until I figured a way to press them on.

You have to find something that fits snug without any play. I'm using a bearing race then a conduit coupler.
View attachment 1702272View attachment 1702273View attachment 1702274

Then gently press it on. Hitting it with a hammer would just bounce off.
View attachment 1702275
View attachment 1702276
Exactly how I do it... Though my old bearing race looks like it's been through a war... Yours looks just spiffy...

Auto Transport Service
Back