• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery issue in a 2013 1500 Ram

fullmetaljacket

Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
2013 1500 Hemi Ram.
Battery is stone cold dead. Very dim under hood light. The key pod won't even open/lock the doors electronically. No ignition/cranking whatsoever.

Can someone tell me if I can rig up old school battery jumper cables onto this 2013 1500 Ram and jump start it without any issues. If so, does the vehicle have to be recalibrated by the dealer/mechanic?

My older dakota would run like **** for about 10 minutes until it relearned after a dead battery.

You can jump start it no problem. As said it may run poor until it relearns. Common with relearning is low idle or possibly stalling. You do not have to go to the dealer. If possible I would just put a new battery in it and that way if it does stall you have the power to restart it.

You can jump start it no problem. As said it may run poor until it relearns. Common with relearning is low idle or possibly stalling. You do not have to go to the dealer. If possible I would just put a new battery in it and that way if it does stall you have the power to restart it.
Fantastic guys. Thank you.
I guess removing the positive and negative wires won't make the truck lose its memory correct? I say this because I have no problem either cleaning the terminals or installing a brand new battery, but these new vehicles with their inherrent finicky issues spook me to no end.

I just slap a booster pack onto the cables before pulling them off a battery. No guessing that way...

Fantastic guys. Thank you.
I guess removing the positive and negative wires won't make the truck lose its memory correct? I say this because I have no problem either cleaning the terminals or installing a brand new battery, but these new vehicles with their inherrent finicky issues spook me to no end.
Chances are with a dead battery you may of lost all memory. No big deal. You may lose the presets on the radio. It will do a full relearn in 10 to 15 minutes of running. Days of running is BS.

If I remember correctly to prevent stalling I left my A/C on until it learned everything again.. I forget which year truck but it wanted to stall when braking to come to a stop.. That kept in running and after a day of running around it was fine the next day..

I haven't been caught with anything that had to "relearn" since my '90 TBird Super Coupe battery was fully drained. Doors locked, hood down, key pad reverted to factory code vs my custom... code card in glove box, keys in ignition, wife away with my spares in her purse.

Wow.
So a couple of days of driving around or just sitting and marinating on the new battery?
Driving around as I’m told … utilizing the vehicle in a mode to exercise the sensors & electronics …. That builds the operational data the computer uses to facilitate oem
Operation ….
Or…. “ I know a guy “….
Think about it As Spock would say “ that’s logical” …
Mopar2ya!!

I do ram manifolds almost daily. I unhook the battery to weld out the broken bolts.
Hook them back up, drive away like nothing happened. No initialization/ relearn.

I do ram manifolds almost daily. I unhook the battery to weld out the broken bolts.
Hook them back up, drive away like nothing happened. No initialization/ relearn.
I’m sure the short term removal of power would not result in a total wipe of comp. Memory…… but at least a 24 hour period would …. Many tech sources confirm ….

Keep on replacing them studs … it’s job security!…. Metallurgy / Engineering….
Cost Control …Testing will predict failure rates….& Replacement COST! $$$$$

There's a ram beside my shop that sits for 6 mths at a time unhooked. Put the cable on and go.

There's a ram beside my shop that sits for 6 mths at a time unhooked. Put the cable on and go.
That’s what they R Designed 2Do !

Then The computers Relearn SOP
For a vehicle …

You may find it enlightening to converse with a knowledgeable & experienced SMOG Tech .
That’s also Why…. You will Fail A Emission Retest Immediately After Certain System Repairs …. The Electronics Have To Relearn & Be Powered For An OEM Proscribed Period Of Time / Miles ….
Before They Are In Spec.

When In Doubt …… Check It Out !

Mopar2ya!

No doubts here. Been an interprovicial journeyman tech for decades. Was working on the hemis when they came out. Thanks for the input

The newer trucks seem to hold the memory. I know the earlier ones when they went to OBD2 would lose everything. Most likely the trucks from the mid 2,000's had some sort of memory hold build into the computers. I know my 2015 Power Wagon was fine after I replaced the battery.

The newer trucks seem to hold the memory. I know the earlier ones when they went to OBD2 would lose everything. Most likely the trucks from the mid 2,000's had some sort of memory hold build into the computers. I know my 2015 Power Wagon was fine after I replaced the battery.
Here are the results of being stupid, preoccupied or in and hurry or ALL OF THE ABOVE COMBINED. When I jumped the truck with cables in the old school way, I went in to start the car and noticed an intermittent clicking noise.................................................................. I had left the hazard lights on when I double parked the last time out with it. It started instantly and seems perfectly fine as far as computer memories and functions.
I've gotta slow it down a little. Thank you fellas.

Auto Transport Service
Back