• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery Problem?

Rick62

Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
The battery in my ML350 is only a couple of months old. This morning it was completely dead. When I hook up my 6amp charger the needle spikes to full charge for a few seconds then drops to zero. Every few seconds it repeats. Bad battery?

Sounds like it. When the charger does that it may be a internal short.Had the same problem with the wife's Honda.Battery less than a year old.
Hook up the charger it would charge and then go to float. Next day dead.Redo and disconnect from car thinking it was a drain.Dead again. Try again charge to full then wait a few hours and load test it.If it will charge at all.
Let us know what you find.

The battery being dead is not the problem. The problem is the battery won't take a charge.

The battery in my ML350 is only a couple of months old. This morning it was completely dead. When I hook up my 6amp charger the needle spikes to full charge for a few seconds then drops to zero. Every few seconds it repeats. Bad battery?
Battery voltage? Load test results?

Without any warning, my 1967 R/T would not start one day. Not even with jumper cables. I checked each cell with a hygrometer, and they were all fully charged. I figured one of the the posts had broken internally.

Without any warning, my 1967 R/T would not start one day. Not even with jumper cables. I checked each cell with a hygrometer, and they were all fully charged. I figured one of the the posts had broken internally.
Probably so. A post to post voltage test could help there. 12v+ and you are good. Less than 12 either an open inside or discharged.

I have noticed over the past 15 or so years that batteries go fast when they expire.
Older cars and batteries would warn you awhile, crank slow , need a jump off and on then finally that was it.
Our 16 Impala had the dash gauges go nuts for a few seconds , next morning dead battery, 200 amp boost would not crank it.
New battery and all was good.

Auto Transport Service
Back