• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench seat too close to wheel

ruffcut

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:18 PM
Reaction score
Hi members
My seat is all the way back on the tracks and still too close to the steering wheel for me.
I have an idea how to move it back but am curious if anyone has done this and how it was done.
My seat tracks were powder coated when I got the car and the studs were missing, so I used carriage bolts to install.
I'm thinking just make some pieces with studs to bolt to the tracks and holes further forward in them to bolt to the floor, if you get what I'm saying.
Thanks in advance.
If you have a better idea, I'm open to suggestions
Dave

I'm bolted in the front holes of the tracks

My seat is all the way back on the tracks and still too close to the steering wheel for me.
I have that problem also......mostly I just need to lose some weight. :lol:

Next fix will be to install a smaller diameter steering wheel. :thumbsup:

I'm 5'7" and I have the seat all the way back. Average person was a bit short back in the day.
I'm a smidge over 6'3" and I know for a fact back in the '60's that the A100's were designed around guys a lot shorter and less rotund than they are these days. :)

Same applies to most other cars.

I'm 5'10 and the Bee bench seat has always been in the factory center holes. Works perfectly for me..

You can buy seat track extenders from Summit or Jegs. They move your seat back 2" . Kind of what Dave was mentioning at bottom of Post#1. Way easier than losing weight. LOL.
I am a big guy, 6'2" too, and also installed an aftermarket 14" steering wheel. Car is much more comfortable to drive now.

3 location choices in the rails. What are you 6' 8? :thumbsup:

1724712062909.jpeg

To the OP, it's rare that typical carriage bolts are rated Grade 5 or higher.
Don't forget a well secured seat belt keeps the driver pinned against the seat, meaning the seat needs to be secured with equal if not more consideration in all directions for a seat belt to do its intended task.

Hi members
I have an idea how to move it back but am curious if anyone has done this and how it was done.
My seat tracks were powder coated when I got the car and the studs were missing, so I used carriage bolts to install.
I'm thinking just make some pieces with studs to bolt to the tracks and holes further forward in them to bolt to the floor, if you get what I'm saying.
Thanks in advance.
If you have a better idea, I'm open to suggestions
Dave
This is what I used, relocation kit.

1724762081288.png

What car is this?

On 71-74, the sliders that hold the cylindrical bearings are longer on one side than the other.
If they've been apart, it's possible they were put back on incorrectly.
If so, you will lose about 1.75 inches of front to back space.
That was just enough for me to go from perfectly comfortable with the seat all the way back, to not quite enough room.

Auto Transport Service
Back