• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best carb for 440 stroked to 505

Colbym

Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
I know this is an age old question with a lot of varying opinions, but I am needing help on which direction to take here.

I have been running a 700 cfm Holley carb before pulling the engine for rebuild. The car ran good, but not great. Now as I am restoring the engine and multiple other systems, I’m being told to go with a 850 cfm brawler double pumper. In other forum posts I read this is too much for a street car. But the gentlemen doing the build for me builds Indy cars and says it will be just fine…

I’m not looking to make passes at the track, but I do want the most power possible in a reasonable drivable street car that can light it up.

Engine is currently being stroked to 505, upgraded eagle rotating assembly, edelbrock top end kit, multiple upgrades within the engine, new 2-3/4” exhaust with cutouts, med ignition, upgraded cooling system with electric water pump, upgraded aeromotive fuel system with electric fuel pump, ported manifold, etc.

Please share feedback on what carb y’all would recommend or any other info/tips/things to watch out for on a build like this.

This is going in my 74 roadrunner
Thanks in advance!

I run an AED 950 double pumper on my 512.
When the secondaries open....you're gone!!

But then you have to stop at the gas station....

I know this is an age old question with a lot of varying opinions, but I am needing help on which direction to take here.

I have been running a 700 cfm Holley carb before pulling the engine for rebuild. The car ran good, but not great. Now as I am restoring the engine and multiple other systems, I’m being told to go with a 850 cfm brawler double pumper. In other forum posts I read this is too much for a street car. But the gentlemen doing the build for me builds Indy cars and says it will be just fine…

I’m not looking to make passes at the track, but I do want the most power possible in a reasonable drivable street car that can light it up.

Engine is currently being stroked to 505, upgraded eagle rotating assembly, edelbrock top end kit, multiple upgrades within the engine, new 2-3/4” exhaust with cutouts, med ignition, upgraded cooling system with electric water pump, upgraded aeromotive fuel system with electric fuel pump, ported manifold, etc.

Please share feedback on what carb y’all would recommend or any other info/tips/things to watch out for on a build like this.

Thanks in advance!

in the first place ,your exhaust is too small for a 500'' engine , if you do the research , 3 1/2'' is the correct size, (I HAVE DUAL 3 1/2'' ON MINE ) , and a 1200 cfm throttle body , the rotating assembly was race balanced by hughs engines , and wraps like a sbc...

I run Q850 Quick Fuel mech secondaries on both my 451 and 493 strokers. They both run great, not to much carb at all.

Last edited:
You can run any size carburetor you want,however for maximum performance we would need more details on the engine,trans,rear end,and how you plan to use it. That being said any quality 850 mechanical secondary carb will give you adequate performance once tuned to your engine.

justmoparjoe on youtube had an AED out pull the house's dyno carb Braswell on his 400 dyno build. I was impressed.

Thanks for all the feedback! I have already bought a 850cfm brawler double pumper with mechanical secondaries per the suggestion of my friend and was hoping it was a good choice. Sounds like it should be the ticket.

Thanks in advance!
Need to know what heads you are running. If it is just the Edelbrock performer heads then I would say 750cfm to 850cfm. Having built a couple of these engines what you will see on the dyno is a lot of low-end torque, but HP will fall off quickly due to the fact you cannot feed those cubic inches with a mild set of heads, and a mild camshaft. Many times, you will have high exhaust temps as well. A bigger cam will sound a lot milder in a big inch stroker.

Mopar's have small heads to begin with, and when you add a bunch of cubic inches it just makes it worse.

The 850 TQ would give you better idle/bottom and economy characteristics.
But yeah, they cant be bought new... :(

Auto Transport Service
Back