• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bezel Paint?

duff

Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
The dash on my 63 Polara has seen better days and I'm curious if this was originally painted or plated? Are there paint alternatives? What is the correct color etc?
IMG_2727.jpg

The process is called plastic chrome...Any good restoration company like autoinstruments.com will be able to help...You may use just chrome paint but it will look funky as hell....It cost me about 800 bucks to have the ones on my gtx redone...It looks like a brand new dash,well worth the dough..
Petty Blue 67 gTX

Thanks, checking out the website right now

I was rushing to get my car ready for a show last year and figured I didn't have the time to have the rechroming done. So temporarily I used chrome paint and silver paint... someday I will get it done properly but it actually looks suprisingly good. It's all in the plastic prep and masking, plus some practice with the chrome paint to see how it lays down best. Just wanted to throw my experience out there for you.

IMG_7292.jpg

Wow hitit that looks amazing! Have any tips? Last fall I tried to do my arm rest and every time I had spiderweb spots all over it...

I’d say the main trick is to practice with the paint a little first, and also be extremely lucky!

Like painting anything make sure you clean the plastic thoroughly to remove any oils from your hands, then scuff lightly with a scotchbrite and clean again. If you don’t have a grease and wax remover you can do it with warm water and dish soap.

I experimented a little first to see how it worked on plastic and how to get the closest look to real chrome.

The main problem with the Chrome paint is that it’s not made to adhere to plastic, like you saw with the spider cracks. I found that if I first painted the plastic with a silver paint made to adhere to plastic, the chrome would stick just fine over it. The silver was basically a primer, but in my case that is what I wanted for the ribbed part of my panel.

Then the chrome paint itself can make all different shades and gloss depending on how you lay it down. Light misting coats are very bright like chrome, but not smooth and shiny. Heavy coats have shine, but get darker than chrome. I believe I put down a couple mist coats for coverage then a couple heavy coats. You need to practice on some plastic to see what works best.

I tried a clear coat over it on my test pieces, but it didn’t look good to me. You might try some light mist coats for brightness then some heavy clear for gloss. I don’t remember if I tried that or not.

This is the chrome paint that I used.
http://www.krylon.com/products/premium_metallic/

and the silver
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic_metallic_shimmer

Hitit, that looks amazing for spray paint! I think thats what I'm going to do on my 63' dash. I dont have the kind of money to have it re chromed. If it turns out ok I'll post a pic on here.

X2 on the chrome paint Hitit. I had a spare dash for my 63 I was experimenting on last year. It really looks ok. Not quite as shiny as chrome but really presentable and alot better than the old worn out look. Just make sure it is good and clean, wax and grease remover, etc. Some plastic adhesion promoter would help also. I'm in the same boat, not enough cash to have it plated. good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back