• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block 727 3k stall Transmission overheats

I'd try a larger trans cooler first and series the lines through the radiator and trans cooler. 210* isn't much though.

Chuck (snook)

Hey fellas, I am back, it's been a minute.. I just read the other comments and yes I thought about adding a bigger cooler or going with a tight convertor. Or just switch to a manual trans, ($) now I may have that opportunity because I think I have spun a rod bearing, a few weeks ago, it was my fault, which makes it worse. I stepped down on the gas in 3rd gear and it didn't kick down, I manually shifted to 2nd gear not really letting up off the gas pedal, approx: less than 2 miles from home, by the time i pulled up the engine was making a metal scrapping noise, I knew in my gut what it really was but didn't want to accept it.. Once I went through everything, I determined it was a rod bearing or bearings, Oil pressure was normal, engine ran slightly different and at higher RPM the noise was quieter, so I ordered new bearings but haven't had to time to get it on a rack to drop the oil pan, I also haven't ran it anymore, not wanting to do any further damage, have any of ya'll changed rod bearings while the engine still in the car, in a 68-70 B-body? I know it"s best to pull the engine back out, but I am hoping for the best when I drop the oil pan, if the journals are damaged then I will have to pull it back out, it sucks because it only has 430 miles on a brand new build... What do you guys think? what or how would you go about these two things now? Tranny and now spun bearing???

If it spun a bearing there was something wrong with the bore of the connecting rod, new bearing aren't gonna fix it... Properly retained bearings don't spin.. And certainly not at 400 miles.. Take it out & take it apart...

Might have been said do you have a radiator with a trans fluid cooler tank?

Auto Transport Service
Back