• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block, Automatic OVERdrive and a way to do it cheaper...

I don't recall ever rolling along at 1000 rpms unless I was idling through a parking lot! I don't have a radical cam...Currently it is the Mopar performance 528 solid with 1.6 ratio rocker arms. I do miss the rumble and power of the bigger Lunati cam I had for awhile.

All luck no recipe for me. I grab 5th sometimes just to enjoy light throttle roll on without bucking. Or pinging.

I just installed a gear vendors in my car, 451 stroker with a 3500 stall, 3.55. Used to cruise 3200 rpms at 70! Now it’s down to 2600... 80 is 2900! I can live with that...I’m in it total about 3 grand or so..

If it works for you, that is great. For me, The Gear Vendors did work okay for the most part but the ratio they have isn't as impressive as their competition.
Gear Vendors: .78
518: .69
GM 4L60E: .70
GM 2004R: .67
Tremec TKO: .64
The 3.55 in my car works out to a 2.27 in 5th gear.

No doubt those are great ratios, it was a matter of economics, 3000 compared to 6500, for how much the car gets driven over the summer it just made sense to get the gear vendor.

Just some food for thought when figuring your ratio's but keep in mind mine is a 456 with a 501 lift cam with an advertised 1,800-5,800 rpm range. I originally sat down and figured up the shift rpm's in every gear, mph at the end if the quarter and freeway cruising rpm's in 6th before installing a set of 4:30 gears.. math looked great but it didn't take into account the Torque. What I found is my car actually got a lot slower with the 4:30's but still knocked down 19 mpg on the freeway. I borrowed a set of 3:90's to try but 3:55's is where it pulls the best. With the 4:30's it blew through the gears way to fast, with the 3:55's it pulls hard and feels perfect. My suggestion would be look at the ratio's I posted and try to come close to the 1st-5th ratio's with 3:55's, it's spot on for a well rounded cruiser and feels great going through the gears as well. 6th in mine is only used on the freeway and I'm definitely not doing 70mph.

If speed limit was not a issue just installing the 3:23 gear set would get me there much quicker. The problem cruising would still be the same. That honey spot at 3400 rpm. It will handle city streets below it but not highway cruising. Gearing is all in the build regardless the math.

How much fab skills do you have? I built my own 4L60E "kit" for my 71 big block. It's basically the same set up as Silver Sports. I have around $2000 total in the conversion. The only fabrication work involved is making a new crossover mount. I cut mine out of sheet and welded it together. The trans module requires a tach signal and throttle position signal. If your running a carb, US shift has a throttle position sensor that mounts right on the carb. Best part about running a 4L60E is NO CUTTING!!!! I could VERY easily revert back if I wanted.

Just joined. I am doing the exact same install. Can you share your parts list with me? I have been reaching out to all manufacturers, but nobody makes an adapter for the newer split case 4L60E ~2001 forward. I am using the Holley EFI Terminator to drive my trans.

Just joined. I am doing the exact same install. Can you share your parts list with me? I have been reaching out to all manufacturers, but nobody makes an adapter for the newer split case 4L60E ~2001 forward. I am using the Holley EFI Terminator to drive my trans.

Did you get an answer on the Quicktime bell housing. Seems compatible? https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/bellhousings/parts/RM-9073

A built 4L60/80E or 518 are ~$3700 + adapter... The price seems to be about the same.
A 200-4R from Extreme Automatics + adapter is about 1k less. Seems like a better option?
Extreme Automatics carries all the GM lines and would be a good source to discussion the application.

Guess who just bought a Tremec 5 speed swap kit?

T H I S guy!

Amador 4.JPG
GK 7.jpg
IMG_4729 (2).JPG

Cool deal. Are you going to be able to get it installed over the winter so you can drive it come spring? I've looked at those kits a few times over the past several years but always figured they would be too much work to take on.

Congratulations man! Only way to go, as far as I'm concerned. No automatic belongs in any of these cars and all of that talk about using the 4L60, which I think is made out of glass inside and out, was giving me chills down my spine. Hope you get it in and rolling soon!

I hope that it ships out next week. I will start a thread here to highlight every step.

Heck yeah....The only stuff I farm out are alignments and machine work. I can figure my way through most everything else with the help of some forum friends and such.

Looking forward to seeing this swap. I was thinking of switching to a manual box but then decided against it. Now I'm reconsidering, but I'm interested in seeing how long it takes you. Watermelon's 1 year installation put me off a bit, but if you get yours done in less than a month I might have a crack too.

Cool deal. Are you going to be able to get it installed over the winter so you can drive it come spring? I've looked at those kits a few times over the past several years but always figured they would be too much work to take on.
As soon as I get it, I'll get to work on it. I have a 2 post lift here and a transmission jack so it should be a lot easier because of that.
There will be some obstacles, I'm sure.
One that I needed to ask about was the speedometer. I have aftermarket gauges with an electronic speed sensor in the transmission. The Tremec may be different. They send out a drive shaft after installation of the trans so that will take a few days to get. If the bellhousing isn't properly centered, I'd have to put in those offset dowels. I'll start a thread and post up as many tidbits as I can think of. Sometimes, the details a person mentions can save others a bunch of trouble when they go to do their own installation.
I hope to bring it to Van Nuys next spring. I've had the car there 4 times so far. Who the heck knows with all this shutdown BS. I may even let some people drive the car, people that I trust of course.....

KD I’d recommend the mopar trans of your pick... they are very reliable and work well . I have buddy getting ready to put one in his dart... I’m going to put one in my 72Charger with a warmed over small block.. I have no worries and highly recommended it... I’m also staying with my 4.11 gears. Cope and A&A I’m sure will guide you in the right direction. Stay Mopar it’s much easier than you think.. As far as the gear vendor problems you have I’d have that shaft checked out and the OD unit then check the angles of the driveline IMO.

Auto Transport Service
Back