• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big block hydraulic roller cam/lifter choices

What’s up dock

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:21 AM
Reaction score
Bullit/Ultradyne, Comp, Trick flow, Howards ??? Same for lifters?
This is the beginning stages for .030 over RB, 4.25 stroke, dish Diamond piston. Will end up around 10.5 comp, depending on my head choice. I'm going to need a large open chamber to make up for the stroker volume, even with a -24 cc dish piston. It's going in a 63 plymouth, hot street car, occasional passes down the 1320. Lumpy is good, gear and convertor will of course be matched accordingly.
I was leaning towards the comp Mutha' Thumpr 235/249, maybe with a 1.6 rocker.

I like a lot of the Howards cams specs I see. With a good set of heads don't know that it would want that much extra exhaust duration though.

I am about to do a similar pump gas build with a 4.25 stroke crank and I have cnc ported edlebrocks. Trying to decide if I want hyd or solid roller. I will be relying heavily on the engine builder for his opinion.

My 2 cents.
Go with a solid roller. Be prepared to pay for good quality solid roller lifters that will survive long term. Pretty sure the ones I was recommended were from Isky and were about $1200.

Hyd. roller lifters are HEAVY.
If your lifter bores are not perfect they will bleed off too much oil and the lifters will not operate properly. The only fix is you can have them bushed for $$$

Well, this build is for a good friend. He's older, not going to want to lash valves. But I agree, a nice solid roller would be great for most applications like this.

Well, I haven't picked out heads yet. 15 years ago, I would have picked up a set of cnc ported edelbrocks. Today, no cnc edelbrocks to be found, but many other choices. Because of the stroke, it leaves me needing a large cc volume dish piston, and a larger cc volume chambered head. I don't want an 11 to 1 comp engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back