• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big mopar guy in NJ?

69clone

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got home and my dad was telling me about one of his customers he had today (My dad just started working as a salesmen at our dodge dealership) This lady bought a car from him today and was telling my dad that her father is a big time mopar guy in the area. I don't know if he told me everything but he was saying she told him her dad has a huge collection of #'s hemi Daytona's and other hemi cars. my dad also said he is #2 on the waiting list for the new Hurst Challenger (#1 is Jay Leno), I guess he is a Judge at the Carlisle Chrysler nationals too. Just wondering if anyone know who it could be? A few months ago at one of the shows i go to, which is right by where my dad works. One of the guys there was an big time hemi NHRA racer, he brought a semi trailer with a Orange hemi daytona, 69' hemi roadrunner, 30's Plymouth with a blown 528 hemi, etc. It would be cool to check this guys collection out if he is a local in my area. This is in New Jersey about 35mins from Philly.

Sounds like a road trip s in order to me, go & check them out & take some photos of course... who was the NHRA guy ? Mopars are big around Englishtown area & some of the NHRA's older guys...

Sounds like a road trip s in order to me, go & check them out & take some photos of course... who was the NHRA guy ? Mopars are big around Englishtown area & some of the NHRA's older guys...

I would but I'm not sure who it could be. That's why I was wondering if anyone here knew. I didnt realize mopars were that big I hardly see any around here...

The racer you're referring to might be Joe Gertleman. I know he had an orange Daytona that was for sale (had a crhromed undercarriage) and a 35 or 36 Plymouth Coupe that had an Ed Pink Hemi in it. He lives in NJ near Phila. I was talking to Don Garlits at Maple Grove and he he told me that Joe was rather ill so he may have sold the cars. Joe and Garlits were close friends. Garlits knew the cars were for sale but wasn't sure what had sold. Joe also owned and restored Connie Kalitta's Bounty Hunter (which Garlits will probably get for the museum). He had bought the car from Kalitta in the 60's and raced it. Joe was a great guy and knew more about hemi's than anybody I knew.
The other name that comes to mind is Bill Stech. He's had Daytonas, Superbirds, hemis of every sort and a very nice guy. He lives (or lived) in the Glassboro area. At one time Bill's cars were often the subject of magazine articles. He's a very knowledgable Mopar guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a judge at Carlisle. I haven't seen or talked to him in quite a while and I'm not even sure he's active in the hobby but it's my best guess that he's the guy you're Dad is talking about.
Where are you located? I'm in Millville.

The racer you're referring to might be Joe Gertleman. I know he had an orange Daytona that was for sale (had a crhromed undercarriage) and a 35 or 36 Plymouth Coupe that had an Ed Pink Hemi in it. He lives in NJ near Phila. I was talking to Don Garlits at Maple Grove and he he told me that Joe was rather ill so he may have sold the cars. Joe and Garlits were close friends. Garlits knew the cars were for sale but wasn't sure what had sold. Joe also owned and restored Connie Kalitta's Bounty Hunter (which Garlits will probably get for the museum). He had bought the car from Kalitta in the 60's and raced it. Joe was a great guy and knew more about hemi's than anybody I knew.
The other name that comes to mind is Bill Stech. He's had Daytonas, Superbirds, hemis of every sort and a very nice guy. He lives (or lived) in the Glassboro area. At one time Bill's cars were often the subject of magazine articles. He's a very knowledgable Mopar guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a judge at Carlisle. I haven't seen or talked to him in quite a while and I'm not even sure he's active in the hobby but it's my best guess that he's the guy you're Dad is talking about.
Where are you located? I'm in Millville.

Wow thanks for the info, The guy at the show had an orange hemi daytona might be that guy. (can't see there being too many daytona's around let alone the same color) This was maybe 2 months ago he had all those cars there. My dad just retired so we're still living on the base.

Edit: I googled their names and found this, http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/towns/index.ssf/2009/07/wheels_pitman_mans_challenger.html
Which is the car his daughter said he was getting.

Glad that I was able to help! Nice to hear that Bill is still foolin' around with Mopars. He has had some super fine cars.

Hate to revive my old thread but I just got home from meeting joe Gertleman's son and grandson (roughly my age). Saw an ad online about some headers went down to look at them and sure enough it was his son who was selling them. They have a shop that they had me meet em at got to see some hemis, 440s, dragsters, their old bus that they lived in and traveled around in to the races, etc. Told me one of these days I'll have to come check out this dads place where all the good stuffs at. Looks like I made some new friends! Def gotta go back one of these days.

It's good you got to meet people like them.You don't get a chance like that on an everyday basis.they sound like they can give you an afternoon full of stories of the past.

It's good you got to meet people like them.You don't get a chance like that on an everyday basis.they sound like they can give you an afternoon full of stories of the past.

Yeah it was nice, being young and not around "back in the day" it is always great to hear about those stories. And to be able to see some of it. He showed me a hemi block that they blew up recently. Along with pictures of the father in his dragster.

Auto Transport Service
Back