• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken wheel studs = end of the road for this axle shaft?

I am on the Nevada / Arizona border.
I do not know where you are in Arizona (If you are close)

If you bring it to my Boulder City Shop (Boulder City Trailers)= I will fix
it for free.

But that is a cheap as I will go. I have a BIG press.

Last edited:
Update: after all the suggestions, I took the axle shaft in to a local auto repair shop and asked them if they could press the broken studs out. They called back shortly after I dropped it off and said they came out no problem with a few taps of a hammer and didn't charge me anything because it was so easy!! LOL! That was a bit demoralizing after having been pounding away at it for a few weeks. :p

Once they were out and I was able to track down the correct studs (Dorman 610-103 in my case, in case it's useful for anyone in the future), I used the lug nut + washers method to pull the studs through. Had to use an impact wrench with a ton of torque to get them to pull through, but it did the job quickly. Luckily I had lots of spare lug nuts around from replacing the wheels, so it was OK that I had to destroy a handful of them in the process. I did have to replace one of the studs immediately after seating it though because I destroyed its threads in the process too. Maybe not the most elegant way to seat them, but it did work in the end.

After picture and pic of car put back together added for viewing enjoyment.

IMG_9659.jpg

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 11.09.02 AM.png

Update: after all the suggestions, I took the axle shaft in to a local auto repair shop and asked them if they could press the broken studs out. They called back shortly after I dropped it off and said they came out no problem with a few taps of a hammer and didn't charge me anything because it was so easy!! LOL! That was a bit demoralizing after having been pounding away at it for a few weeks. :p

Once they were out and I was able to track down the correct studs (Dorman 610-103 in my case, in case it's useful for anyone in the future), I used the lug nut + washers method to pull the studs through. Had to use an impact wrench with a ton of torque to get them to pull through, but it did the job quickly. Luckily I had lots of spare lug nuts around from replacing the wheels, so it was OK that I had to destroy a handful of them in the process. I did have to replace one of the studs immediately after seating it though because I destroyed its threads in the process too. Maybe not the most elegant way to seat them, but it did work in the end.

After picture and pic of car put back together added for viewing enjoyment.

View attachment 1735767

View attachment 1735768
Never sieze is your friend here.
You can also use grade 8 hardware store nuts to save your lug nuts

Pressing them in is the preferred method, pulling the studs in using the threads is a good way to over stress the fastener…

Auto Transport Service
Back