• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brooks 88 aluminum rods value?

dagomike

Local time
1:10 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need your help. I came across what looks to be a set of 8 new Brooks 88 aluminum rods. I need your help to figure out a value for them. They have a 2.5 big end rod journal and what I believe is 1.09 pin hole. The rods are 7.1 approx cc. & 1" wide at the big end. They have what looks to me to be mock up handling marks on them. They came in the old original box that is in sorry shape like they have been in the shed forever... I will try to load a picture of one of the rods so you can get a better idea what I have here. If anyone is interested in these drop me a PM and we can talk. But I really need some input to determine a fair asking price first... Thanks in advance for your help... Mike 10 22 13 rods 026.jpg10 22 13 rods 027.jpg10 22 13 rods 031.jpg10 22 13 rods 028.jpg10 22 13 rods 029.jpg

Nobody has any idea what these went for? I guess I will throw them up on flea bay and see what happens...

Never ran Brooks 88 Aluminum Rods, I know they are supposedly new, but have they been zyglowed/ex-rayed, checked for proper lengths, that's pretty much a requirement to run them {even if they are new}most people that will want them will ask, it's kind of a prerequisite, to run them with out any worries... I'm not trying to discourage you or beat the price on down, or have a agenda to push either way, I'm not in the market for any... But I had many Childs & Alberts & Venolia's rods &/or pistons, in either N/A, N20 & Blown combos/apps, I got mine free sponsored usually from the late great Joe Pisano the owner of both companies {also owned JP1}, my Jobber cost was/would have been, about $100-$150 new ea. or more depending on actual rod in question {back as far as 1997-2000-ish, I would think Brooks or Bill Millers were comparably priced} or so If My Memory Is Correct for each rod after any discounts... I know you say they are new, in the box... But, Are you sure ??, I have old ones in boxes too, that you couldn't tell they've ever been run, especially by just looking at them, other than a couple minor scuff marks here or there, they aren't dinged up or banged up either {I will use them some day in something}... Also a used aluminum rod were, basically take outs, throwaways, souvenirs, not worth risking in a high $$$ combo or a boosted engine, after X amount of runs, depending on use & abuse, fuel types etc., basically paper weights & a dime a dozen... Most people were/are still afraid to use them on the street... Even if they are new... I personally had used them in street engines for years, they do stretch, your not supposed to compression break, gear down an engine with aluminum rods, but I never had a rod failure... But also the value of a used aluminum rod is really subject to it's usage & new but vintage, even new still in a box, an old aluminum rod IMHFO is worth maybe $0.25 cents on the dollar at most of it's new purchase price, you see them being sold for pennies on the dollar... So maybe I would est. worth $200-$300 or so, maybe would be a good price for a complete set, maybe more, you will need to test the waters & see yourself I guess... I also see there's no bronze bushing in the small end, that may also be a negative to some people, looking for an aluminum rod, I know I always used them... Just for an educational purpose {not that you don't already know}, You have to set up an aluminum rod combo engine much different in clearances, deck heights etc., so it will no doubt scare a bunch of people off, from even considering trying/buying them, they do have a cycle life, no matter what some will say & about 1/10 that of steel "supposedly", aluminum goes thru heat & stretching/growth cycles, much more than it's steel counterpart does & it becomes brittle eventually... You need to have more room for expansion, of the aluminum in pin area, length & girth/growth also, so you or the buyer, will need more clearances, the crankshaft lightened ground, polished, chamfered, for the proper bob weights &/or balance/clearances, or it will vibrate like hell... For use of the much lighter aluminum rods & the rod bearings, are very specific for use with an aluminum rod, the bearing has with a chamfered hole for the "pinned" style bearing needed, made of different materials usually also, the pin is there to help, so they won't spin with rod growth or @ high RPMs... It will need to be someone who's wanting/willing to go the extra mile/or expense of custom pistons, pins, rings & bearings, machine work etc. & run an old/even if they're new set of Brooks 88 aluminum rods.... Sorry for the long winded, overly **** answer & Good luck with your sale, either way, I hope this helps some...

Last edited:
I have a set of 8, well 4 are good. cracked up the bold hole. BME's run $1250 that is what I replaced them with.
my pin is .099 for JE pistons I would have to check length for 500 ci in Siamese block

Auto Transport Service
Back