• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I save these spindles. (Pictures included)

96Formula6sp

Local time
2:26 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was digging in the parts bin from the Coronet. Anyways as its a lemons car we are wanting to update to the later A-Body spindles. Well come to find out I found a set in the car. So win there. Anyways they have seen some rain. Any chance that these could be saved. If so what method would you use.

First one

The other one is worse.

As long as there not pitted you can remove the service rust.make sure the thread's will clean up , Call Dr.Diff , get some new ones

Go to the auto parts store and get some evap-o-rust or metal rescue and you will be good to go,it works great.

I would have them Glass Beaded, and then inspect the porosity on the area that the grease seal rides on. If it is pitted, you can go to a bearing house like "Motion Industries" and buy a repair sleeve that installs on the seal area and buy thecorresponding seal. You install the sleeve with a bit of red loctite and then assemble the seal into the drum. They don't look all that bad. Good pic's!

I would toss them in my molasses tub for a week or so and see how they clean up. I have a 18 gallon tote with 1 gallon of molasses and 7 gallons of water. Cheap rust eater. They look like they should clean up ok.

I would buy new ones. By the time you clean them up, it would been cheaper to buy new anyways.

I read you are partners in the car setting it up for 24 hours of lemons. The cost of new spindles is probably not in your budget. So, try the Evap-O-Rust; I bought mine at O'Reilly's, then chase the threads. You're going to need a new nut and washer with a key, also. However, I highly suggest you find the cash for a decent used set of spindles. Safety first.

Just take a scotch bright wheel to them to get an idea of what the real condition is, if pitted toss them.

Well since these are free we can see what can be done. We have no problem tossing them if they are trash. I talked to a racer buddy of mine and we are going to throw them in the bead blaster tomorrow and see that happens. Hopefully they clean up otherwise we will hunt for another set as we need a brake upgrade. The old owners of this lemons car ate threw brakes on the old 10.75 inch setup in four hours on the firm feel pads. We are hoping that a set of carbotech xp12 and the later 11.75 inch rotors with some good cooling will solve the brake issue.

Well some really good news. Those rusty spindles are now minus the rust. About 15 mins of work turned the spindles at the top into this. Looks like we have our A body spindles.

Right on! Its good to see you save those. I took a wire wheel to mine after I blasted them and they shined up like a silver dollar! I felt bad painting them.....

Auto Transport Service
Back