• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cant find vibration

65_Satellite

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Read through a couple of the threads but didn’t see the same thing.

Issue: I have an odd vibration (bad) that I can’t find. If you’ve followed my garages you would see that I’ve been putting together my 65 satellite for the last couple years. I conveyed to a 4spd this winter. When driving at cruising speed 55-65mph it has a very subtle vibration that isn’t terrible or bothersome and I didn’t care because it’s a built 440 so I expected some noise/vibration. When I stay at that speed and push the clutch in, the whole car vibrates and you can really feel it in the shifter. If you put it back in gear and let the clutch out, it virtually goes away. Same vibration at that speed if you pull it into neutral.

It’s got a new pilot bearing (the one that goes in the crankshaft where the torque converter hub goes), new u-joints, driveshaft has been balanced. The bellhousing is a factory cast big block housing that I checked the runout.

Not sure what else to check or to determine if it’s trans, rear end, clutch/bearing

EC90ABEE-49E6-438A-B4E9-09F0603482F9.jpeg

Was the 4 speed rebuilt prior to installation?

How the driveshaft length, if it's to short could vibrate. I ate up a rear trans bushing from a 1" to short d shaft.

Just a wild guess but see if your trans yoke has up and down movement indicating a worn tail bushing or yoke.

I thought you might be.

How the driveshaft length, if it's to short could vibrate. I ate up a rear trans bushing from a 1" to short d shaft.
The length is fine. Same shaft I’ve had in the car. Only thing I recently did was change the yolk because the original yolk was work and kept leaking. The new yolk is shorter but not by much.
B8A29C43-E886-4106-9A75-FA8093466840.jpeg

Just a wild guess but see if your trans yoke has up and down movement indicating a worn tail bushing or yoke.
No play there. The trans was rebuilt about 250 miles ago and the yolk just changed a couple weeks ago.

Read through a couple of the threads but didn’t see the same thing.

Issue: I have an odd vibration (bad) that I can’t find. If you’ve followed my garages you would see that I’ve been putting together my 65 satellite for the last couple years. I conveyed to a 4spd this winter. When driving at cruising speed 55-65mph it has a very subtle vibration that isn’t terrible or bothersome and I didn’t care because it’s a built 440 so I expected some noise/vibration. When I stay at that speed and push the clutch in, the whole car vibrates and you can really feel it in the shifter. If you put it back in gear and let the clutch out, it virtually goes away. Same vibration at that speed if you pull it into neutral.

It’s got a new pilot bearing (the one that goes in the crankshaft where the torque converter hub goes), new u-joints, driveshaft has been balanced. The bellhousing is a factory cast big block housing that I checked the runout.

Not sure what else to check or to determine if it’s trans, rear end, clutch/bearing

View attachment 1322641
Check the trans to bellhousing bolts. I had same problem and it was Trans bolts just a little loose. Tightened up bolts vibration gone.

I've had the same issue with my 4 speed Challenger. Been thru the trans, bushings, pinion angle, drive shaft balanced, drive shaft runout, mounts. I'm down to two things left. Replace the drive shaft. It's been balanced, and the changed the vibration but didn't cure it. The other is swap the trans. It's one of the two. The one thing I never checked was trans output shaft runout. I've seen bent 727 output shafts. But every one has been bent severely enough you could see it.
Doug

It's difficult to guess where the vibration is coming from. Without driving the car. But back in the late 70's my $800. 70 charger r/t se. Had a vibration that no matter what I tried. I couldn't get it to go away. So I tore the engine down and took the rotating assembly and had it balanced. Back then it was close to $200. Which was a lot of coin to sink into a $800 car. Well it was the best $200 I ever spent. It was smooth as glass and drove that car for about 11 years.............

Check the driveline angles. I had a warrantee job on a 1970 B body (in 1971) with a vibration and I had to shim the transmission up to get rid of it.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back