• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cant get a 4 speed in a tesla....

I passed on many Chargers because almost all of them were automatic. I got my E87 D21 in April ‘85 in this condition, picture from ‘88. The ‘Cuda, also E87 D21… same. I looked at others that were 727 and passed. The Satellite is a 904. First thing I bought for it was an 18 spline 883. View attachment 1662108View attachment 1662145
My E 87 V code Charger R/T Sixpack car was an automatic, but I corrected that factory defect by installing an 18 spline Hemi 4 speed transmission and a Dana 60 rear axle. The car was missing the matching numbers automatic transmission, but has the matching numbers engine. Now all is right in the universe!

20230709_171308.jpg

20190930_150756.jpg

20210925_145203.jpg

20220830_203042.jpg

20220830_203108.jpg

20210514_193135.jpg

Plus, I'm as close as I will ever get with the Max. He has a Manual Shift, Reverse Pattern TorqueFlite!

Rowing thru the gears gets less important the older I get too...

I still want a 5-6 speed in my RR, maybe some day, $5k+
far more things I could do with that $5k+, & still enjoy my car...

Personally I couldn't care any less about Tesla's (or any EV)
0-60 or it's braking ability "at all"
I have absolutely NO interest in ever owning an EV, ever
let alone a $100k EV, freaken' appliance/toaster on wheels...
Fire (you can't put out) waiting to happen
or drive in winter any distance

I have ridden in a couple myself, in multiple times each
still too many draw backs & too expensive, for a mass market
kids will never be able to afford them, let alone their parents
wanting to spend (or reg. costs, cost to insurance & electricity costs thru the roof)
that for their children/new drivers to wreck...

I don't have to have a manual trans to have fun either
(like some here think, if a car has an Auto, a 727TF, its boring :blah: or somehow worthless junk)
but I do prefer manual trans, for collector car driving,
'mild cruising' or those that are just sitting behind it at a show & talking about it...
Except for in bumper to bumper traffic or God forbid commuting
or especially if you're in a tow rig,
in & out, in & out with a diesel 6 speed 4x4/clutch, gets old fast
(which I don't do any/either now)
but it's not a prerequisite to having fun...

I seem just fine in my RR with a 727/TF
in a vintage or real muscle car, far more senses are still assaulted
& I like it that way...

It's absolutely nothing like an EV, except maybe for no clutch pedal...

IMHFO, the hybrids, ICE/EV will be way more successful than pure EV
for many reason, & probably none of them have anything to do with
standing start & stop performance

the 5% (EV's, if even that %) promoters,
is trying to ruin the 95% (or more ICE) market

Last edited:
Rowing thru the gears gets less important the older I get too...
I don't have to have a manual trans to have fun either
in a vintage or real muscle car, far more senses are still assaulted
& I like it that way...
I used to love rowing gears, not so much after reaching 70. The GTX with a 727 and hand controls suits me just fine now, since I retired the Peterbilt. But I'm still not about to embrace the EV nonsense.

th-1881268175.jpg
hand controls.jpg

My E 87 V code Charger R/T Sixpack car was an automatic, but I corrected that factory defect by installing an 18 spline Hemi 4 speed transmission and a Dana 60 rear axle. The car was missing the matching numbers automatic transmission, but has the matching numbers engine. Now all is right in the universe!

View attachment 1662284

View attachment 1662285

View attachment 1662286

View attachment 1662287

View attachment 1662288

View attachment 1662289

I don’t have the broadcast sheet for my Charger. It does however have the fender tag that starts with E87 D21. A “Mopar guy” said to me years ago that fender tags are reproduced, so it didn’t prove it to be original. I guess he forgot about the matching sequence number on the 833 pad. I got it in ‘85. No one was making bogus fender tags then, or restamping 4 speed boxes. At least I didn’t see any back then.

Last edited:
Hopefully it was an A833 18 spline... :)

As far as EV's go, I only see negatives associated with them - the whole false narrative of how they're the
supposed saviors of our world, the way they're being forced down our throats by governments vs. letting
the market demand determine things, etc.

To me, they're appliances - and I don't get any more excited about them than I do my dishwasher.
Oops! :)

I don’t have the broadcast sheet for my Charger. It does however have the fender tag that starts with E87 D21. A “Mopar guy” said to me years ago that fender tags are reproduced, so it didn’t prove it to be original. I guess he forgot about the matching sequence number on the 833 pad. I got it in ‘85. No one was making bogus fender tags then, or restamping 4 speed boxes. At least I didn’t see any back then.
I agree,if the engine and trans were stamped and match the vehicle VIN and fender tag,on an unrestored car in 1985,it is most likely legit. 70 Charger fender tags have inspectors stamps that are not on reproduced tags. My 18 spline 833 transmission came from a 70 Cuda,and the 3.54 Dana 60 rear axle came from a 68 Charger R/T.

Ok, I'll admit it too....at this point in life, I'm sorta secretly wishing I had an automatic old Mopar also.
Maybe a big ol' comfy c-body? Drop top or something...

Sorry.... This **** is way more fun than plugging anything in.

There are men with sacks.....and boys with Gucci....

Resized_20230723_124545_1144592948531858.jpg

I passed on many Chargers because almost all of them were automatic. I got my E87 D21 in April ‘85 in this condition, picture from ‘88. The ‘Cuda, also E87 D21… same. I looked at others that were 727 and passed. The Satellite is a 904. First thing I bought for it was an 18 spline 883. View attachment 1662108View attachment 1662145
best shifter ever:thumbsup:

My '64 Dodge wagon had a shifter that long and the ashtray would eat my knuckles on a third gear shift!

When Tesla came out with the tractor trailer I made the comment that I would need earphones with the music of a 350 Cummins in the background!

My friend's old '68 Peterbilt had a 335 and the Freightliner Cab Over we had 40 years ago had a 350. Those are the Cummins sounds I hear when I think of big rigs. I have 8MM home movies of riding in the Peterbilt and I can still hear it! My brother on the other hand hears 425 Cats!

Auto Transport Service
Back