• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor stumble update

Pump arms are adjusted nice and tight?
I second this!

When your car is off, look at the linkage for your accelerator pump(s). When you even START to move the throttle the tiniest bit, the pump arm needs to move. If there is any slop in it whatsoever, you will have a stumble.

If you haven't already, make sure your linkage is correct first, then start working on other carb tuning elements.

A split second stumble.........is a split second too long. What do you think you are going to gain with such a big carb?

Mopar Joe recently dynoed his 440, had a Torker 2 on it. Used a Hol 850, then put a 1050 Dom on it.

1050 made 6 hp more.......but lost 6 ft/lbs of tq at 4000 rpm. I think the lowest rpm on the dyno was 3800, but I will bet the smaller carb was much better from 2500-4000 rpm.
In a drag race, the 850 Hol would be in front to 4000 rpm, with the 1050 playing catch up, all else being equal.

A split second stumble.........is a split second too long. What do you think you are going to gain with such a big carb?

Mopar Joe recently dynoed his 440, had a Torker 2 on it. Used a Hol 850, then put a 1050 Dom on it.

1050 made 6 hp more.......but lost 6 ft/lbs of tq at 4000 rpm. I think the lowest rpm on the dyno was 3800, but I will bet the smaller carb was much better from 2500-4000 rpm.
In a drag race, the 850 Hol would be in front to 4000 rpm, with the 1050 playing catch up, all else being equal.
That doesn't mean the 1050 stumbled.

Auto Transport Service
Back