• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

career choices

stay in the oil patch while you're young. get debt free and and start socking away money like there's no tomorrow. there will be a time when you can't physically do that kind of work any longer. you say you work 8 straight; how much time off between hitches? Think about taking online courses and get a general business degree if you can. even if its just a 2 year degree. That could help you get a job in the oil field supply side of the business. pipe, valves, pumps, chemicals etc... you already have a good working knowledge of what the "front line" of drilling is all about and can intelligently "talk the talk".

There is no greater motivation for working and saving as having been dirt poor at some point in you life. as is said; "money isn't everything, unless of course, you don't have any."

good luck.

get debt free and and start socking away money like there's no tomorrow.

Excellent advise. If you have a car payment or credit card debt, pay it off ASAP. If you have a mortgage, double up on your principal payments.

I would stay away from the body work as well, I think you would be further ahead to find something else even if it means some technical school. Around hear everyone is jumping on the oil ban wagon for the great money but I won't even consider it, Like you I have a young family and there is no money worth missing out on it. "Trust me" I've been sitting back watching everyone make more money than me and not one of them is anywhere near as content and happy as I am because "I'm enjoying life". You can't put a price tag on happiness. I'm an Industrial Maintenance man (always something different to do) and am home everyday at 3:30 and have almost every Sat and Sun off so I'm pretty happy. Life's short don't waste it with your nose to the grind. Good Luck

That's how I feel. Don't get me wrong, I know I have a great job that pays more then most jobs. But its just that, a job. And in 2+ years I have missed enough holidays, birthdays (not mine), and now my son is going to do all his firsts while I'm out doing a job I realky don't enjoy

- - - Updated - - -

stay in the oil patch while you're young. get debt free and and start socking away money like there's no tomorrow. there will be a time when you can't physically do that kind of work any longer. you say you work 8 straight; how much time off between hitches? Think about taking online courses and get a general business degree if you can. even if its just a 2 year degree. That could help you get a job in the oil field supply side of the business. pipe, valves, pumps, chemicals etc... you already have a good working knowledge of what the "front line" of drilling is all about and can intelligently "talk the talk".

There is no greater motivation for working and saving as having been dirt poor at some point in you life. as is said; "money isn't everything, unless of course, you don't have any."

good luck.

I'm not quitting til we are debt free. We have been killing it, paid around 50k off in less then 2 years. We live well below our means. 6 more months and we will have the last 20k paid off. No mortgage, I'm going to try my best to pay cash or at least put 60 to 70% down. I was dirt poor 2 years ago due to some bad decisions. Never again.

We get about 3 or 4 days between hitches, depends on if we are goinh from nights to days or not. and I spend the first one catching up on sleep since I only get 4 hours on a good night.

I admire your ethic for saving and avoiding the credit monster. I claimed personal bankruptcy at 25 when I closed the doors to my business.... best thing that happened to me at that age while all my friends were over extending themselves with loans, cars, mortgages etc... I had to re-learn how to save for what I wanted... that was part of my deal of being able to have a musclecar... I had to be able to save for it and pay cash. I see myself going the other way now and since I've had a tougher than normal year financially falling back in the hole of being behind... Your thread was a good reminder of why I can't let myself do that.

And if your goal is to own your own restoration shop whether it be cars, café racers etc. the best thing to do would be get your foot in the door by any means necessary at a shop that does something similar to what you like and learn the business! If your goal is to be self employed there's no piece of paper that will tell you what's involved rather than living it first hand... Once you know what is needed you take the classes whether it be for business/bookkeeping etc...

Maybe you could look into being a sheetmetal worker. I have been in the trade since 1987-it's a way to make a decent, steady living and the skills of fabricating/welding tie in nicely to restoring MoPars! You can be home every night, and learn bodywork in your spare time.

Become a Lawyer!

or a politician you live off someone else's dollar... your whole career...

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a question for the auto body repair and mechanics. But everyone feel free to answer.
I am currently in the oil field and the money is awesome but I am just starting my family. I've been married 1.5 years and have a three month old baby boy at home. Instead of spending eight days away at a time I want to be around. I'm looking to get back to the 9 to 5 world so to say.
My question is do you love your work? Would you do it again? I am really interested in working my way up in the body shop world. I do like wrenching on stuff although a lot of the motor stuff baffles me.
I have a h.s. diploma but not much college. And money isn't a huge issue. The wife have dug our heels in the past two years and only have six months til we are debt free.

IMHFO I say stick it out where you are, make as much as you can, while you can, stock pile it away so you can do what you love latter, especially with out a college degree today... I don't think working on other peoples cars, really isn't as rewarding, as doing it for a hobby, for yourself & the paint, the fumes, dirt, dust & grime gets old pretty fast, especially around body work & paint... Wrenching on peoples dirty poorly maintained daily drivers, isn't what it's cracked up to be... I'd ask most long time mechanics, they/most would usually say they wish they did something else...

- - - Updated - - -

If you plan on ever being self employed, you will probably spend "12-16hrs everyday", for quite a while to get your business going & profitable... Ask almost anyone who successful & self employed, you work your a$$ off for the freedom of being self employed... Constant phone calls, constant paperwork, accounting& banking, constant worrying about, lay offs {others lives your involved with & somewhat responsible for too}, cash flow/capitol, worker productivity, profitability, just being able to pay your bill & suppliers or the next contract or job coming in etc., it not just a paycheck now, because you responsible for much more than just yourself, when self employed... Your Employees are a PITA, taxes are a PITA, payroll & benefit/healthcare packages are a PITA, you can't be late on any of them... It's not easy being the owner, trust me... When I was working to start my 1st few businesses,I worked a minimum of 12-14 hr's a day, usually 7 days aweek until my businesses were established, while trying to raise a family, everything is a give & take you want more money for your family & they need more & more stuff, you learn to deal with work & trying to spend time with your wife & kids as much as possible, it's not easy you have to learn how to juggle all the BS that comes with a family & a career/business... it takes time to get to that point, especially if you do it right & want to be successful... I suggest you do it, while your young !!...

If you enjoy working on cars as a hobby. keep it as a hobby. As soon as it becomes a profession, you will probably learn to hate it. You will have to take everything that goes with it like trying to collect money, dealing with people who say that you broke something else while you were fixing the original problem, etc.

Did you see my post a couple weeks ago about the benefits of being a professional circumciser?

I guess you have some SKIN in the GAME......

JK9Gmkt.gif

[video=youtube;RbRwocUXDiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbRwocUXDiA[/video]

It's great to be debt free. However, in this society you almost certainly need to keep a credit report open. Even if it some peanuts credit card account. Use it occasionally and just pay it off every month.
I also have a very good relationship with my personal banker at my local community bank. It takes money to make money and you may really need money from a bank down the road. There's nothing like a good relationship with a LOCAL bank or credit union. Look to even buy stock in those banks. Some pay out 8% and it is rock solid. But, make sure your bank isn't constantly turning over (unstable). Avoid banks or CU's that constantly have repossessed stuff for sale in the lot. It means they make bad loans.
Great that you have the discipline to live below your means and get ahead. Not seen much today.
I will give some advice as others have. Use your money making ability, now, while you can. I know it sucks being away from your family but that money will help you down the road. Make that relationship with a bank now and let them see how disciplined you are and how you can pay stuff off. I can tell you that there is no greater feeling than working for yourself. Hopefully you can save some money and open whatever kind of business that will allow you freedom for yourself and your family.
Good luck to you.

For me it is anything that doesn't involve the public as customers, they are a pain in the ***, god bless those of you that have to do that, i would be in jail less than a week. As long as I can keep those dumb asses from hitting my truck I won't ever have to talk to them, maybe some sign language but no talking.

Agreed 100% with Budnicks.. I hear tonnes of people saying "I want to be my own boss" blah blah blah... I have been more or less self employed since I was 19 years old. The only times I worked for someone else was to supplement my income because making money starting out is tough. I worked 80 plus hour weeks for 5 years and broke even.... didn't make a dime and that's how I found myself bankrupt at 25.

I also hear too many kids (I'm not that old.. 35) walking around whining that they want to "Do a Job that they love".. It's WORK!! and it's called work for a reason! you are not suppose to love it you are suppose to pick something that you have the skillset and personality type for where you can succeed and will allot you the money and lifestyle to do that you love when you are not at WORK!!

Also great point by finallygotmine... Debt free is great but always be mindful of your credit score you are nothing without it

I'm a geologist out on those rigs. Yes it's dangerous but fun sometimes too. We run three towers so the roughnecks get home every night but not for long. 8 hours on then up to 4 hours driving. Getting a good job with no college degree is tough. It's tough even with a degree. College graduates can't find jobs. If you major in something like Mechanical Engineering you will be paid well, but that's tough to get through.

I would look at the Medical field. Get trained in a specialty like Radiology, If you start as a Medical Assistant then go to an LPN then and RN.

First off we have way too many Lawyers. I would stay away from that Field at all costs. Secondly...why even consider being in the Trades at all? Especially the Auto Body business unless you own your own Shop. You got the HS Diploma and some College you say, But that and a Dollar might get you a cup of coffee in this present economy. Just look at the numbers for the latest Employment/Un-Employment results. You say you are making good money working in the Oil Fields so why even change at all. Sock away all you can, work your butt off till you drop, and then move on to something else. Just for grins though let's compare your 8 days away from home verses anyone currently serving in the Armed Forces. It ain't nothing at all!!!! The grass may appear to be greener on the other side of the fence but in today's World...It ain't so...My 2 Cents...cr8crshr/Tuck

for me it is anything that doesn't involve the public as customers, they are a pain in the ***, god bless those of you that have to do that, i would be in jail less than a week. As long as i can keep those dumb asses from hitting my truck i won't ever have to talk to them, maybe some sign language but no talking.

i lmfao

I'm not quitting til we are debt free. We have been killing it, paid around 50k off in less then 2 years. We live well below our means. 6 more months and we will have the last 20k paid off. No mortgage, I'm going to try my best to pay cash or at least put 60 to 70% down. I was dirt poor 2 years ago due to some bad decisions. Never again.

We get about 3 or 4 days between hitches, depends on if we are goinh from nights to days or not. and I spend the first one catching up on sleep since I only get 4 hours on a good night.

God Love ya. you and you're wife must be unbelievably disciplined to be able to gain on a debt like that! Keep it up!! I get the sleep and the family time issue. If you work for a contractor it will be hard to move off the rig as they are hired to do one thing and that's drill. As my wife says "It's all about relationships". I hope you can take build some relationship with the decision makers as you go. Good luck to ya!!

BTW: There is NO greater freedom than being totally debt free....

My thing about sticking it out til I can't do it anymore is there's a chance I can't do it anymore because some *** hole got me killed. The guys that die out here are usually killed by someone else's careless mistakes. The majority of these guys I'm not sure how they graduated high school. They are morons. I've been in 2 or 3 situations where somebody wasn't doing their job and could of hurt or killed me and I got lucky. Stacking cash is cool but I'd rather take a little longer then my wife cash the life insurance check.

And yes I know I can be struck by a bus tomorrow and when its my time its my time. But if I can increase the odds of keeping myself in one piece and alive I'm going to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you could look into being a sheetmetal worker. I have been in the trade since 1987-it's a way to make a decent, steady living and the skills of fabricating/welding tie in nicely to restoring MoPars! You can be home every night, and learn bodywork in your spare time.

I did sheet metal fab for about a year. We did bay tops and standing seam roofs etc I enjoyed it but my boss was a stingy bastard and didn't like giving raises cuz he could pay the illegals half what he paid us

Remember the oil business is cyclical. Those jobs WILL go away. I know people get hurt and killed. It pays to know your crew is not high or complete newbies (Worms as they are called in the patch. Get through the bad winter months then quit when it cold again next year. I hate to quote Aston Kutcher but watch his speech about jobs. He never had a job he was better than. He never quit a job before he had his next one lined up. Opportunity looks a lot like hard work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNXwKGZHmDc

Every person should watch.

Coronet340, tuff it out and save. My son is in the oilfield (directional driller) and he also has a young wife with a toddler and newborn. I live in the South where a lot of our young guys are in the oilfield. Everyone of them who has left the oilfield for an 8-5 has regretted it. Sounds like you are managing your money pretty well so I would suggest trying to save enough to open up you own business. I know it's hard staying away from family though..

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth. I started as a Chrysler line techs helper in Aug of 87 and in 6 months started on the line. Busted my knuckles for peanuts at the beginning but then the money got very good within a few years. I left in April of 13 after the dealership lost their franchise in 09 when the owner would not update the building. I worked for one of the east coast's largest car dealer and still they let their best dealer(in Chrysler's eyes very high CSI reporting and all) take the fall to become a body shop and used car dealer. They promise you a career for life and even call you family but do not believe it. I have been out of work since I just could not take it anymore and was the last of 10 techs that had been there 20+ years too leave. I am now 47 years old and had to have a plate put in my neck a few years back and now the doc tells me that both of my shoulders the muscles are torn away in at least 6 places in each arm from working with my arms over my head for so long. I destroyed my body working for the flat rate dollar and missed a lot with my kids because the dealer family needed me. In my honest opinion do not do it. My dad was a line tech and always told my not to do it for a living but he passed when I was 14 and I was just too bull headed to listen. Always listen to the people who have been there in those shoes they know what they are talking about. If you own the business let some other poor sucker work on the CAN bus problems or transfer case leaks you just sit back and watch because if you are the poor sucker you most likely wont be able to move when you have grandkids that want you to play with them. Just my 2 cents on the subject and sorry to ramble on.

Auto Transport Service
Back