• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charging problems

Rakishi64

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to get some help with a charging issue on my 72 Charger 340 with fbo electronic ignition coil and an electric choke installed by the previous owner.

The previous alternator went bad so I ordered a new one via autozone. It looks identical except for having a ground stud/terminal on it (the previous did not).

New alt worked great that night, car was at 14v during idle. The next morning, it was staying at 12v during idle,the dash lights were not working and the ammeter was on discharge. I replaced the voltage regulator, and now it idles at 12v but only goes to 14v when I increase rpm. Also, the ammeter pegs hard to the right when I press the gas. If I turn on headlights and radio it is closer to center.

I also noticed the previous owner had cut the blue wire from the top of the alternator in half and added a brown wire in between. Where it is spliced, I noticed it was getting warm with the key on run. I thought this may be the issue as well.

Any ideas/recommended tests? Attached are all the photos I have at the moment. 1. alternator, 2. old regulator, 3. new regulator, 4. Coil.

I'm currently overseas with the military but will be back soon, just trying to get a head start on the repairs.

alternator .jpg old regulator.jpg new regulator.jpg fbo ignition.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back