• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chevrolet Impala?

Over forty years ago, still an apprentice at work, a bunch of us had our own section of the parking lot, with a sign that said "high performance autos only". My road runner, a Barracuda, Mach 1, a Cougar were always parked there. At the other end of the lot, more pedestrian vehicles.

One guy, another apprentice about my age, drove a 1964 Chevy. I don't remember if it was an SS or just an Impala or Bel Air but he saw us looking under our hoods and came over to chat. He said his car was fast too. He looked like an accountant with glasses, we asked what engine he had, and he said 409. We didn't believe him, went over to take a look. Sure enough, a 409, and on top of that it had the dual carters. I never saw him hit the gas, and he soon sold it. He said it used too much gas, got $1800 for it.

When I was a kid a friend got to drive (and later inherited) his mom’s black / black ‘63 409 425hp dual quad convertible. Car was so cool.
Wow - MOM driving that around! My mother always liked cool rides and convertibles, but LOL, seldom had the top down cuz of her hairdo's back in the '60's. She had a '57 T-Bird, and later a '60 and '66. When my brother got his 1st GTO, a '65, she liked the body style and bought a '65 vert. She didn't keep it for too long as the power scared her - she would be chirping the tires and more especially in wet weather forgetting what she had under the hood. She traded it in for the '66 Bird. My dad had some interesting cars too.
I miss ya dearly ma! Say hi to pop for me.

Posted a thread a while back on here about a '65 SS396 4speed vert I found abandoned in my town.
still haven't done anything about it, not until at least I have more space...
img_20200811_235917_740-jpg.jpg

img_20200811_235917_749-jpg.jpg

img_20200811_235917_741-jpg.jpg

915726-f60278467c89bf3d9e11134a73f722f6.jpg

Really want to save it someday but right now I've got 2 mopar projects and my eyes on a '67 Camaro RS that's rotting next to a run down house

Before they became Mopar legends:

ANOTHE_2.jpg

RT21_001.jpg

CHEVY = Car Has Every Valve Yelling

Auto Transport Service
Back