• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Auto Air vs Vintage Air for non AC car

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the two for a 68-70 b body. Any thoughts on performance or quality? Classic Auto air seems to advertise more capacity and better cooling. The way they build in the controls is nice as well.

I might be able to get Vintage air at a good discount, otherwise they seem priced similarly.

I have written extensively on this subject.
If you do a search in the correct forums, you'll find numerous threads on this topic.
In short, I liked the CAA kit more.
EDIT:
It may just be my experience but while CAA was an easier installation, VA seems to offer a wide variety of options to customize the installation. This is both good and bad in that too many choices can be confusing. Both seemed to work quite well once installed.

Last edited:
In evaluating the options to add AC to my '67, after reading installation instructions, and numerous threads here on the subject, I really think Classic Auto Air is the winner, for me.

It's a very clean looking installation with seemingly minimal modifications needed.

I bought Classic Auto Air for my 67 Satellite 5.7 Hemi 5-speed. They assembled a custom kit to suit my car, at a reasonable price.
20210806_123349.jpg
20210806_123412.jpg

Not trying to hijack...just something for the OP to consider..and some of yall may know

Is it a safe assumption that both systems use recycled air with no blend function?

My decision to buy Vintage Air was based on the controller staying in the stock location and the existing vents were adapted to the new duct work.

It is impressive in the Vintage Air kit that the original controls are modified and upgraded from vacuum to electronic.

Refrigeration wise Classic Air and Vintage Air use the same compressor and likely the same Chinesium condenser, dryer, etc, so cooling performance is probably the same.

I haven't used Classic Auto Air, so I can't comment on that.
I used the Vintage Auto Air in the Convertible, but using the sanden SD-7 compressor that comes with the Billet Specialities Tru-Track system.
I like just about everything except the way they route the lines under the fender. Some might like that the lines are somewhat hidden?
The Condenser and dryer are a nice setup that fits well on front of the radiator.
The electronic controls in the stock location are nice too.
The convertible did not have A/C so used the under dash vents that vintage air supplied.
As mentioned, used re-cycle cabin air, and blocks off the fresh air hole in the cowl.

I haven't used Classic Auto Air, so I can't comment on that.
I used the Vintage Auto Air in the Convertible, but using the sanden SD-7 compressor that comes with the Billet Specialities Tru-Track system.
I like just about everything except the way they route the lines under the fender. Some might like that the lines are somewhat hidden?
The Condenser and dryer are a nice setup that fits well on front of the radiator.
The electronic controls in the stock location are nice too.
The convertible did not have A/C so used the under dash vents that vintage air supplied.
As mentioned, used re-cycle cabin air, and blocks off the fresh air hole in the cowl.
I wouldn’t have it any other way as far as the line routing. It’s so much neater. To me for a non ac car the Vintage air would be the only way to go. If you wanted to upgrade a factory AC car I would go with Classic.

IMG_2918.jpeg

For 1967 and older Mopar applications I believe Classic Air does not have a stock control solution.

Trying to decide between the two for a 68-70 b body. Any thoughts on performance or quality? Classic Auto air seems to advertise more capacity and better cooling. The way they build in the controls is nice as well.

I might be able to get Vintage air at a good discount, otherwise they seem priced similarly.
B4 you make a decision, your statement: "Classic Auto air seems to advertise more capacity and better cooling" MEANS NOTHING....what are the published cooling numbers....in meaningful numbers. The cooling capacity of an A/C system is rated in BTU/hr at a published temperature (air temperature coming off the evaporated coil..inside car) at a published condenser inlet temperature (outside temperature or ambient temp). Remember to factor in your inquiry, that the compressor's capacity is reduced at lower RPM (slow driving at high ambient temps), the color of the car (black and dark colors require additional cooling capacity) due to higher sensible heat load (sunlight, engine heat, heat from mufflers, etc) on the vehicle and the A/C system because of the color, what is the refrigerant used: R-134A or the new type R-1234-YF (new and expensive)...the new refrigerant has great specific heat characteristics (works better)......compare the vendors system capacities AND prices....do you own do diligence....and ASK SPECIFICS QUESTIONS of the vendor...not what your buddy thinks.....installation questions (hose routings, bracketry, etc, TBD)......Just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back