• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clay Smith Mechanical Fuel Pump

steveramone

Local time
8:26 AM
Reaction score
Hey every one, Has any one used a Clay Smith mech. fuel pump? Thought?

Thanks Guys.

Steve

I'm not sure if its still sold. The 110 gph quick fuel mechanical is a good alternative (part #30-440). I use this one and it is the only mech pump I plan to use from now on for any application.

I have. I think I still have it around here somewhere. I ran it for a bit but went electric to keep the fuel system away from heat sources.

Yes they work great, you have to run a return line and regulator. I have one going to a swap meet in April, pm me if your interested.

I've had one for years. I run it with a Barry Grant regulator and no return line and it works great. The only "gotcha" you need to know is that some blocks are a little beefier and will require you to grind on the pump a little bit to get it to fit. Not difficult, I did mine with a hand file. It just would have been nice to know ahead of time that the pump possibly wouldn't fit. I was putting it on in the vehicle and couldn't figure out why the 2nd bolt wouldn't start. After all, it's just a fuel pump swap, how could it not fit :).

One of the reasons I didn't buy. Old parts I don't mind modifying but something brand new out of the box...

^^^^^^It's called hot rodding and it's been going on for years.

Not following your logic, clay smith should have the pump housing fit the intended application. I'm sure all their chevy stuff does. But I'm glad it's still made for those that need 16psi/140gph for a BBM carburetor application. The quickfuel doesnt need a regulator or return line which is a plus.

I spent a few days trying to find a vendor that sells them up here in Canada and i had no luck so i called the clay smith hot line and it appears they have not made them in about 5 months due to an issue with the company that makes one part on them.

i asked when they expect to start producing them again and they had no clue.

Any good suggestions for a back up plan?

Went with a Carter Hi Po after axing the electric pump. Runs great.

Auto Transport Service
Back