• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning electrical wiring connectors

^^^
That’s the way I always understood the way it worked
I never done any testing, never seen the need
When I was driving and working on semi’s I used to use wheel bearing grease to prevent rust and corrosion on all the electrical connections. Worked great and was cheap
I really use to pack the connections with the stuff

Another good sealer is clear acrylic spray paint. I used TRW Ignition Sealer because light snow would want to drift in my engine bay when pushing snow, plus, I like to keep my engines clean. I would spray my distributor, wires, and ignition parts every couple years. I could wash the engine bay twice, but a third time without spraying first was asking for it.
I ran out and nobody sold it anymore so I read the label: clear acrylic.

I am about getting 1968 Dodge Charger roadable for long trips and want to do all connections under the hood, so I don't have and breakdowns. I want to clean the terminals where they go into firewall block under the hood. Thanks to all you guys who gave me some of your knowledge on how to clean electrical terminals. thanks to you all "493Mike", "kiwigty", vance.dykes", Dave6T4", and AR67GTX". Bob Horman

View attachment 1507701
I bought the same car new in ‘68.

IMG_1252.jpeg

This is not correct- the idea of being dielectric is that it can't create an electrical path in absence of an actual connection.
It is designed to make an excellent direct connection.
Just ask any automotive manufacturer.
Take apart an ignition switch. Or turn signal switch.
I pack my connectors with dielectric grease and everything is fine

Thanks to the members here for all this great information
as I start on the electrical portion of my Road Runner Renovation

Does anybody have idea on how to clean wiring connectors with a chemical. problem elector connector turning green causing potential electrical fire or short or just no electrical connection with lighting not working. Bob Horman
For male and female spade connectors I used these. I cleaned all the bulkhead connectors and used dielectric grease when I assembled. There are cleaners available for pin style connectors as well. https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Cle...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A20WU7F6MJJC8N

1713025328888.png

didn't think to take before photos.

cleaned this with a Muriatic Acid solution (acid poured into water, not vice versa) followed by a half hour in the ultrasonic cleaner. It had much surface rust on the steel and corrosion on the contacts. Testing before cleaning revealed questionable function, now it's excellent.
P1016471.JPG
P1016472.JPG

This thread has some great info. I see there are a couple of items to add to my arsenal. The corrosion cleaner and the tweezer tools. Back in the early 90's when the Challenger was out for paint, I had removed the engine bay harnesses for cleaning/retape/repairs. Since I didn't know any better, I used tinning fluid to clean the connections of grundge. I would put some on the terminal, heat it with the propane torch, drop some more on until clean, swish it in water, spray off with brake clean. I put the units back into the firewall with the cavities filled with dielectric before assembling to keep them good. The firewall/dash side I didn't mess with. On the 65 since it was having gremlins which resulted in no start, in the garage thankfully, I started the project with wire cutters. Kept the molded units, tossed the rest. It's getting a 24/7 unit from Ron Francis and I capped off the firewall hole, so no more bulkhead unit. Will put a pass through in the wheel area. The 67 wagon will benefit from the info you all have provided though.
JJS-32253016-1 Firewall Rubber Boot Seal for Running Wires, Cables, Coil Wire
JJS-32341916-1 Firewall Brake/Clutch Pedal Rubber Boot Seal Shifter Rubber Boot Seal

Auto Transport Service
Back