• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear and di-chromate zinc plating

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw the name of this zinc plating co. out here for people in and around NJ. Alcaro and Alcaro plating in Montclair NJ. I’ve have used them for years. They do both clear and gold di chromate zinc plating.
I glass bead any parts before I give them the parts, quick turn around and very reasonable. This picture of what I picked up today was 75 bucks.

IMG_2439.jpeg

Freshly plated parts really take an average resto to the next level.... Details are everything...

Do you know if he does any other treatment to the parts or does he just dive in to the zink plating?

To each his own and yes, zinc is more original BUT … zinc actually “rusts” - its that white powder that develops over time. Also, “electroplating” does not provide complete and even coverage on complex parts - you’ll notice some dull ares. So with all that said, if you don’t care about 100% originality and want to step up your game, consider “electroless” nickel plating. Coverage is 100% and even on the entire part. Nickel won’t corrode like zinc and it’s inexpensive.

For more info google electroless nickel - it’s worth looking at.

If you want to see the process, this guy does a nice job in his home shop. He does a lot of carbs including 6 Pack set ups.

The parts in zinc process will have a alkaline wash first to remove and residues to protect the bath process. Then an acid dip to remove any residual minerals of contamination including rust. BTW media blasting will only removal visible rust, which means a mild acid bath for micro rust. Then a neutral rinse in distilled water prior to zinc dip. After zinc a final coloring chromate may be applied prior to a final neutral distilled rinse then air dry.

Auto Transport Service
Back