• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear coat questions.

70rrclone

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
I finally have my car painted and cleared. I put about 3/4 of a gallon of clear on the outside not including the hood.(jams were already done). At this point there is some dust in the clear which i expected doing this in my garage. Should i cut and buff the dust out now?
How do i tell if i have enough clear on the car?

Thanks
Shane

When did you spray it? The tech sheet for the clear you used will have the details on how much time you need to wait before cutting and buffing.

Was 3/4 gallon prior to reducer and hardener? How many passes around (coats) of clear did you apply?

I sprayed it yesterday afternoon. Yes, the 3/4 gal was prior to the activator.

The tech sheet says overnight to polish.
I made 4 passes around the car.
The clear is cromax 7900s

how many coats of clear? is it laid down smooth or grainy?.......... 3 wet coats is a ton of material to work with

understandable if you aren't experienced..... finish your sanding thoroughly with 2000 grit or finer if you can.........

3000 trizact wet on a DA after 2000 will make your buffing much easier, just stay off the points and edges

Not the best pic but, heres what im working with.

20240707_082231.jpg

20240707_082244.jpg

Not the best pic but, heres what im working with.

View attachment 1690740

View attachment 1690741
Only thing I will add is start wet sanding at the bottom and work up.
When your working off the floor and no lift the bottom 1/3 of the car is more work, standing on your head lol,
Get that area while you all happy and having fun.
Fresh like it is it will cut better, keep everything clean. Water, bucket , paper ect.
Looks good.

Yeah, I'm a Trizact guy too! Hard to go through if you follow the directions. Your using top notch
clear also, so the longer you wait, the harder it becomes. You didn't shoot it in a booth so no bake
cycle. I would wait two weeks and put it out in the sun.

Also if i sand through the clear, do i just reclear the panel or does the base need to be resprayed also?

normal DA ........ keep the speed under control....... always use a foam interface pad and stay off the points and edges

I use the purple paper dry, it makes it easy to see...... then a little water with the 3000, is has some sort of soap in it to lubricate....

I usually start with 1500 ...... go to 2000, then 3000, they offer 5K and 8K, but unless the car is black I don't feel it' necessary

1720371606278.png

1720370997760.png

1720371087073.png

I tried the generic 3000 trizact pictured below and found it to be much less expensive and the pads last as long as the 3M pads

be sure to sand thoroughly with the 2000, as the 1500 marks are too deep for the 3000 to cut

1720371294402.png

Also if i sand through the clear, do i just reclear the panel or does the base need to be resprayed also?

if you sand through the clear, but you won't...... you will likely have to spot it in with base, you can reclear over clear sanded with 1000

Auto Transport Service
Back