• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convertible top lift cylinder rebuild kits

JimCoronette

Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
My 50 year old cylinders leak worst than me.

Does anyone know of a seal kit for these, or have a list of seals to rebuild them?

Why not rebuild, it's a challenge. As long as shafts aren't rusty.
In hemmings saw this Hydro-E-Lectric 941-639-0437 WWW.HYDROE.com I don't know anything about them.

Buy new ones and avoid the pita. jmo
Lol, when restoring my ride could NOT believe the top motor still worked; but very slow and noisy. Leaked making a mess plus damage, since brake fluid was used. Reservoir leaked into the motor, like flooded and still ‘worked’. Repairing was easy, cheap, new seals, LOTS of cleaning, and being careful which side needs to be ‘up’ reassembling. Brushes were only half-worn (lol maybe from lubrication). Pistons were leaking too destroying the old carpet, getting new ones and new lines. Replaced brake fluid with power steering fluid. It worked better, but slow. Just thought, heck with it having replaced all the works and not the motor. Got a new one selling my old one for a turnaround price of around a 150-bucks. DESIRED results.

Hydro E Lectric is a great resource for convertible parts.

Problem is the top gland is retained by the tube being compressed into the groove in the gland.... How do you disassemble the cylinder without destroying it?

And since the rod eye is not removable from the rod you can't service the rod seal without disassembling the cylinder....

Buy new cylinders....

thumbnail_IMG_9291.jpg

BTW I too
A. I'm a cheapskate :lol:
B. I want bragging rights to say I rebuilt them. :lol:
And since I own three convertibles trust me, I've looked at the possibilities...

Last edited:
Problem is the top gland is retained by the tube being compressed into the groove in the gland.... How do you disassemble the cylinder without destroying it?

And since the rod eye is not removable from the rod you can't service the rod seal without disassembling the cylinder....

Buy new cylinders....

View attachment 1680376
BTW I too
A. I'm a cheapskate :lol:
B. I want bragging rights to say I rebuilt them. :lol:
And since I own three convertibles trust me, I've looked at the possibilities...
That makes sense.
I've rebuilt cylinders in the past that had threaded ends.
I'm surprised that 60's cylinders are not rebuildable.
I'll be saving up the small fortune for new ones. :wetting:

my cylinder had a leak, but the aluminum could not be welded shut. New one cheap, and works fine!

Hydro-Electric is the best source for new cylinders and parts. I have bought from them and have replaced two convertible pumps, cylinders and hoses on two different cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back