• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant Recovery Tank for a 62-5. Whatcha Using?

Al K

Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
I figured that since this concerns a '64,I'd put it here rather than the Heat/Cool/Etc. forum.

Plan on going to Milan next week for the Michigan Mopars show,and once again hope to get the ol' girl down the track. Going to need a recovery tank,and would prefer an OEM(later-model) style. Also would like to mount it in front of the radiator support on the right-hand side. An E-body tank looks like it would work,dimensionally. What have you guys tried(and had work)? I'll consider an aftermarket set-up,but kind of prefer the "stock" look. Any suggestions/advice/tips? I could see a fast trip to Roseville MoParts this week. As always,thanks!

On my '65, I wanted to retain as much of a "stock/unmolested" look as possible. I used the original windshield washer reservoir.
Good luck at Milan. Before I retired and moved to sunnier climes, I used to race there and at Detroit in the 60's-90's.

On my '65, I wanted to retain as much of a "stock/unmolested" look as possible. I used the original windshield washer reservoir.
Good luck at Milan. Before I retired and moved to sunnier climes, I used to race there and at Detroit in the 60's-90's.

Did 65s have plastic tanks or the "bag" style like 64-back? Would the bag style(that method had occurred to me) hold hot coolant(what?) without melting or distorting?

It is a plastic tank. Hose on bottom normally feeds the washer pump. Disconnect from the pump and run new hose to radiator. Reservoir is semi-transparent to view level. Plastic cap on top snaps on.

Go to the parts store and spend a few bucks and get a radiator overflow kit.
Don'tforget the proper closed system radiator cap.
Mounted mine on the radiator support behind the grill.

The E/B version is nice but requires a separate bracket, and you pretty much won't find one in a bone yard. They are repopped but pricey. The 73+ A-body piece is easy to find but a little bulky, and the F-body version is tall and thin. I'll be crossing this road soon as well but I'm not there yet, please let us know what you figure out. Having gone through this before, a trip to the local bone yard may help - you can usually score a couple busted ones for free so you can mock them up and see how they fit.

I know you wanted OEM but I have used this one on several cars even if it was just temporary. I just put one in a 66 B Body behind the grill in front of the radiator support. But not in front of the radiator I tucked it over on the drivers side of the support. I made a small bracket so I did not drill any new holes in the support. Plus my local store stocks them.

http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7304514_0361065819

This one is from Mancini--I'm told it looks OEM (though they weren't utilized in '65) mounted on the core support next to the radiator's side tank.

Attachments

• 4. Satellite engine-side.jpg
    4. Satellite engine-side.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 392
go to a pick n pull salvage yard you can get late model car tanks for like 5 bucks
I use them all the time

work great , see mine sticking up on the right side of the picture its thin and came off an early 90s chrysler , has a pentastar on it and everything

Attachments

• overflowP6300016dc.JPG
    overflowP6300016dc.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 367
Guys;thanks for all the help and advice. Heading up to the parts store(it's almost 100 here,so it's an excuse to experience some air conditioning) to see what I can find. Driven;the NAPA piece you showed would work great mounted on the right side fenderwell just behind the support. That's my second choice for location.

My first choice:
100_3919.jpg

Front right,next to the trans cooler-which I can easily move to the other side. There's slotted holes that accept "T" bolts(what I used for the cooler) to facilitate in mounting. Back in a bit,and I'll let you know what transpires.

I vote for an old pull top Pabst.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI45p5kNarH1WV1XeQl67TnS9ox_SVzUdCR7Cfale7SWt49CMK.jpg

LMAO! Yup;that'll work. At the Detroit Dragway reunion,a tech guy offered a Pepsi bottle and duct-taped that puppy in. Looked like ****,but functioned. Well...I want the function without the shitty appearance. So-o-o-o

...It's looking more like an aftermarket tank will go in there. Maybe. Still got some checking to do on OEM designs. I'll keep y'all informed where I go on this.

I bought one of these for my 66 Chrysler and after it got wrecked I swapped it over onto the Polara. Works great, looks cool, and it has a drain petcock at the bottom to make coolant flushes/exchanges easier. The old pull top Pabst can is definitely cool! Seen those a few times, also seen a 1/5th of Wild Turkey bottle...ANYTHING is better than just letting the coolant puke out onto the ground!

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/ovbo.html

... The old pull top Pabst can is definitely cool! Seen those a few times, also seen a 1/5th of Wild Turkey bottle...ANYTHING is better than just letting the coolant puke out onto the ground!

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/ovbo.html

Tech people at tracks frown on ANY leakage! For good reason,of course;I'm fortunate to have got the car running much cooler-like not getting over 190 in 95 degree weather last weekend.

I used a Dr. Pepper bottle zip tied to the core support. It's down low on the passenger side and you can't see it unless your looking.

1. It's clear so I can see the level.

2. It's sealed to the hose after I drilled the correct size hole in the lid.

3. It's easily emptied.

4. It's very lightweight.

5. It fits my white trash persona. :laughing9:

Stuart;that's what I'm looking for! What's that from? I saw some similar-looking units at the parts store.

i got it s few years ago at a pick n pull , u pull it salvage yard for 5 bucks . its got a penta star on it so it must have been out a an early 90's chysler product . Maybe a caravan or something . Just go looking at your local pick n pull i'm sure you will find something that will work and all that little stuff is meaningless to them so they sell it cheap .

Auto Transport Service
Back