• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corvette ZR1 Top Speed Announcement

Yeah Dennis, I’ll say that the 3.09 geared A8’s 6th to 7th shift takes place at 171MPH …….
But trying to pull 8th gear with only 797HP and she’ll fall flat on her face.

I'd drive a C2...but that's about the only TupperCar I'd want.

If I need that kind of speed I have a 160hp motorcycle that weighs 370 lbs wet. 0-100 in about 2 sec and back to zero in about twice that. I'm good.

That said...it's impressive enough. Just not for me.

It is a funny thing.
The memes about Corvette owners often show a group of white haired guys in Polo shirts with Dockers brand short pants and white New Balance shoes.
One time there was a Corvette gathering near a muffler shop that was near me. I drove the Charger there to talk about setting an appointment to get the exhaust done on a project car. As I idled through the parking lot, two guys stopped talking and stared at me as I rumbled through.
"Our cars will never sound like that, will they?" said one guy.
No, they will not.

View attachment 1742564

Theses guys

9A45E4C4-75D7-49A9-A29D-9E6ED294099C.jpeg

Chevrolet says they aren't limiting production of the ZR1. That's a nice thing to hear...maybe this will stop dealerships from gouging customers?

How many people are willing and able to shell out $180,000 to $205,000 (+ taxes & etc.)?

I haven't really admired the looks of the Corvette since the '72 model year. I liked the prior years too. Back in the day, a friend/coworker would drive around in his '62 (?) Corvette convertible. I liked that car. More recently, a friend/coworker gave me a ride in his C6. It was nice. It took me until the final model year of the C7 to like the looks of them; and darker colors are preferred. Maybe I'll go test drive a C7 in the future out of sheer curiosity. Glad they finally got around to placing the engine in the correct location when they designed the C8. That ZR1 is quite an accomplishment. I guess they deserve the title of true American sports car.
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
Totally agree! Nice '65 BB!! I have a 1970 C3 350/350 4spd roadster and a '58 C1 4spd. 2 cars from different eras but IMO the styling and engineering on both (as well as my '68 Charger) are rolling works of art. Everything today has too many sharp lines and I'm not impressed...even if they go 200+ mph. The guys with the ankle socks can enjoy them.

Last edited:
As one who's serviced and modified Corvettes going back over half a century, it is probably the best performance car for the dollar ever made. But, I'd rather own a 68 Dart GTS or almost any you-name-it Mopar, over one. I never could get comfortable driving one.

Auto Transport Service
Back