• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cragar SS wheel back space 1973 dodge charger

Thomas Fell

Local time
11:58 PM
Reaction score
I want to run Cragar SS wheels on my 73 dodge charger I am thinking 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear.. I was wondering tire size and back space the rear Cragars only come in 4.25 backspace which is in stock and 4.75 which has to be special ordered.. The Front 15x7 only come in 4 inch backspacing.. Just wondering what a good tire size for front and back and back space.

275/60r15 rear and 235/70r15 front would be my choice. 255/60r15 rear and 225/70r15 front as a second option.

I run 235/60/15's on the front and 295/50/15's on the rear on 5 different sets of wheels now, 15x8 w/ 4.25 to 4.5 b.s. depending on the wheel with no issues. I don't like the jacked up racked look. This combo keeps it almost level.

Last edited:
4.25 backspace fit either or should go with 4.75 backspace?
I realize
this is a little late, but....
I always prefer more backspace than less. If it's too close to the spring, spacers can fix it, put the tire exactly where you want it.
Too little bs, if the tire gets too close to the fender, nothing you can do but put on a smaller tire.
However! In your case, the wheelwell of a 73 charger is full round and huge. With the big backspace wheel being a custom..... the stock 4.25 bs should be fine!

Auto Transport Service
Back