• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom volt meter conversion

66383charger

Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
Well, I am done with this project except for the volt face overlay and I would like to have input and output circuit fuses installed on the circuit board.

I decided to try this because with 66-67 charger EL gauges, we are limited to what can be done while keeping the EL working. The needle and face both light up as original. I could have had new guts installed into the original gauge case, but would have lost EL in the needle.

I had issues fitting this gauge and learned a lot. The next one will be slightly different. Also the current project box to contain the circuit board is not large enough, It will be the size of a deck of cards when complete. The heat sink is larger than I expected.

I am also missing the tack, I need to send it to Mark(The Gauge Doc) for repair.

What do you guys think. I don't really have a cost to this yet as I have many hours in doing the first one. If anyone is interested, PM me and we can discuss options.

The first photo show where the gauge would be at 9 volts, the second is 12 volts and the third is at 15 volts.

I would also like to try this method with other years of B bodies, however I don't have gauges to play with. If anyone has extras of spare that they like to allow me to play with I would really appreciate it.

Cheers
Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0194 (800x598) (2).jpg
    IMG_0194 (800x598) (2).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0195 (800x598) (2).jpg
    IMG_0195 (800x598) (2).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0198 (800x598).jpg
    IMG_0198 (800x598).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0203 (800x598).jpg
    IMG_0203 (800x598).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0205 (800x598).jpg
    IMG_0205 (800x598).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0206 (800x598).jpg
    IMG_0206 (800x598).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 330
What are you gonna do for the over lay? Know how your going to lay it out?
I would like to do this conversion. I ran a separate wire from the alt to start relay to take some of the load off the ammeter. Last summer my voltage reg took a dump and was putting out over 15 volts, but the ammeter wasn't showing it. Voltmeter conversion would have been the cats pajamas.
I have a spare meter laying around that I pulled out of my cluster last summer. Somehow the EL is grounding out and causing the EL to not light. It gave me fits! Haven't really investigated the meter problem.

What guts? stepmotors, magnetic, bimetal? I rewould my gauges, ss +5 volt reg. Dam near burn my motor up! Sucking air with a plain non blaffled pan. I dig the look of the stock gauges but, they are way to slow to give you any clue what your engine is doing. Good luck, keep us posted. Fast, accurate and stock looking gauges, is something WE all need. P

Hey Reed,
I have been in contact with Premium Decal about doing the volt overlay, in both conversations they didn't seem too interested in dealing with me. So I have approached a local company that I use for labels and and graphics for work. They want me to bring in a mock up of what I am looking for. I want to add numbers to the overlay to give a better indication of the system voltage.

Pat, I have rebuilt all of my gauges(rewound) and calibrated them to be quite accurate. They do move at a slow rate, but they are quite reliable.

I don't re-use the amp gauge to built the volt meter, I used a spare temp gauge and built a "driver" circuit to follow the voltage of the system.

I also have done all the other upgrades to the wiring harness to help prevent "letting the smoke out" of the wiring harness.
I plan on upgrading the alternator at some point, and going with a full EFI and ignition control system.

Cheers

Auto Transport Service
Back